• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 1971 GT6 on craigslist

rotoflex

Jedi Trainee
That looks like a good, original GT6. Underside of the hood shows no damage, valve cover condition is practically representative of originality & good care.

rotoflex

Jedi Trainee
Do we get a prize if we figure out what that is on the scuttle next to the clutch master cylinder?

roofman

Jedi Knight
No prizes., It does look like it has potential. I wonder how much?

swift6

Yoda
Just when I thought I knew of most of the LBC's (especially Triumphs) in town and someone pulls this out of their garage. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
bcliff

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The ad says $4000.
Bruce

rotoflex

Jedi Trainee
I already have a damson 1972 GT6. $4000 is a good, fair price for a very original, running example like that. I doubt if you'd do better for condition/desirability/value/cost. It's a 1971, so it's the nicer end of the Mk3 run: rotoflex suspension, better head (if it's still got the original), etc.

As far as 'potential', not everyone's ideal is showroom restoration. That's likely a smart, snappy, reliable, head-turning daily driver. Faults, including any rust, are likely easy to remedy under maintenance & repair, & not needing major work.

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gee Shawn, I thought you had a fix on all the Northern Colorado Triumph barn finds !?!

"Virtually All Original" includes the DPO 4.6 years ago. No reference where it came from back then.
Note no interior shots, so all original means the already skimpy seat foams are probably carpet cheese.

But 4k asking price, doesn't that seem a bit high for a GT6 htat needs work?

There is a Red 1500 Spit down the road here in Lafayette, tan interior in really nice shape for $4000.

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Kinda wish it was closer to here, I'd consider it.
Only 4k
Plus Resto. 4k?

Looks like a candidate for a good beater! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

OP
bcliff

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've been finding barn finds around here since before Shawn had a drivers license, and there are several firm rules.
1.Never assume you know all the cars in your area.
2.Barn finds will continue to appear.
I can think of several barn finds that won't be seen until I buy them.
Glenn, as far as the Heralds go, I have mine at my house. The other two are at Dave's house. Looks like I will have one, he will have one and we have a parts car. I have done a little (very little) work to it. The list of projects goes like this:
1.Replace hydrolastic subframes with dry on my Riley Elf, as well as a few other details. (daily driver)
2.Finish friend's V6 MGB project in the garage.
3.Get wife's 60 mini going. (1, 2, and 3 are concurrent projects).
4.Get Herald going.
5. Make lots of money and go collect those barn finds.
All this is while keeping Stag, Elf, and everything else running. (Morris Minor Traveller is going to California)

rotoflex

Jedi Trainee
StagByTriumph said:
"Virtually All Original" includes the DPO 4.6 years ago. No reference where it came from back then.
Note no interior shots, so all original means the already skimpy seat foams are probably carpet cheese.
Original interior is better than a cheap black JC Whitney-grade replacement. Even with flat seat foams, it's a better deal than a cacked-out carpet & seat reupholster job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
But 4k asking price, doesn't that seem a bit high for a GT6 htat needs work?[/QUOTE]
No, most GT6's that show up are horribly modified, completely disassembled, absolutely thrashed to the bone & patched together, or occasionally showroom restorations asking for (and getting) much more money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]There is a Red 1500 Spit down the road here in Lafayette, tan interior in really nice shape for $4000. [/QUOTE]

There were many more red 1500 Spitfires manufactured than GT6's. Their conditions vary, but all are 2 cylinders short of a party.

rotoflex

Jedi Trainee
No, on LHD Mk3 GT6's that is always just the empty shelf where you put your Coca-Cola or beer while sitting on the tire fiddling withe the plugs & points. On RHD, the battery box is on that side.

The washer bottle, carbon canister, & (optional) brake servo sort of move around from year to year & in different option configurations in the Mk3.

In the early Mk3's, the washer bottle & carbon canister would be just to the right of the brake master cylinder; unless a brake booster was fitted, in which case the brake booster would be there, the carbon canister down at the front right of the engine, & the washer bottle over by the wiper motor on the far right side. By the end of the run, those had become the standard locations.

OP
bcliff

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So who wants me to go look at it?
Bruce

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
rotoflex said:
Do we get a prize if we figure out what that is on the scuttle next to the clutch master cylinder?
I wonder if it's one of those old capacitive discharge ignition add-on modules? Had one on a Volvo many years ago (there when I bought it); had to dump it when it freaked out! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

V

vagt6

After looking at GT6s for many years, I'm of the opinion that <u>ANY</u> GT6 that runs, has most of the original parts and has minimal rust is worth more than its actual, retail market value today.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to find a GT6 in "good" condition (i.e., never wrecked; straight body; little or no rust; in decent running condition, etc.). Especially MKII and MKI models. As such, I'm inclined to pay a bit more for a decent example. In some cases, I'll pay a lot more than retail if it's a nice one.

If one intends to purchase the GT6 as "keeper", then paying a bit more than the retail value of the car is not a bad thing to do at all.

The key is to find the best example that your budget will allow. Don't get hung up on paying an extra thousand bucks or so for a nice one. Trust me, it's worth the extra money if the car's in good shape.

Like the ad used to say, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later". Paying a bit more for a nice example means you'll pay less in restoration costs and enjoy the car more.

My tuppence worth.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I just paid the tax man more than that for estimated quarterly taxes! What a waste! It gave me absolutely no pleasure at all, whereas that GT6 would give me immeasurable pleasure! What a backwards world we live it!