• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1971 MGB Custom Rebuild

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Guys

About 4 years ago now (I can't believe it's been that long), I bought a 1971 B from a guy with the intention of restoring it and using it as a fun weekend car. It was painted a nice burgundy red. Although it wasn't a great job it was good enough for a daily driver. The car used to that mustard yellow color as you can see by the areas of the car that didn't get painted.

BeforePaintStrip.jpg

HPIM1544.jpg

Soon after I got the car home to my garage I started to plan for the rebuild. I started to strip the paint off of the fenders and soon realized that I wasn't going to be able to strip the car down to metal like I wanted with paint stripper and a scraper. It took me about 10 hours just to get it to this point. No way was I going to be able to do the whole car.

BeforePaintStrip2.jpg

Having spent an inordinate amount of time stripping just the fenders I decided that getting the car dipped or sand blasted was the way to go. I ran in to a guy who said that he could Soda Blast my car for a few hundred bucks if I wanted. Sounded like a good idea to me and it would save me a ton of time. So, I hauled the car down to the guy and left it with him. Four weeks later nothing had been done on the car and the guy tells me his Soda Blaster broke down and he'd sand blast it to bare metal and give it a coat of primer. Okay, sounded good to me. I just wanted the car back so I could get to work on it.

Here's some pictures of what it looked like when I got it back.

MGpics004.jpg

HPIM2014.jpg

HPIM1988.jpg

HPIM1989.jpg

As you can see a lot of damage appeared once all of the paint and Bondo was off the car. Ain't Bondo great, it can cover anything!

I took the front fenders off to get them worked on and then I decided to strip all of the old dirt, grime and paint off of the wheel wells.

FrontFenderOff1.jpg

After a few hours of wire brushing the wheel wells were starting to look pretty good.

HPIM2005.jpg

HPIM1997.jpg

Now what to do with those dirty old shocks and disc brakes.

HPIM1993.jpg

Stay tuned guys for the further adventures of the 1971 B's return from the grave!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Drop that front suspension beam so you can really get things cleaned up!

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Looks great! The only concern i would have right now is if the hood is warped. If the hood is warped from the sand blasting then i would check the rest of the panels for warpage. Most all of these cars have their crosses to bear! Yours has drill holes too! Still well worth rebuilding! Bob

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
1971 MGB Custom Rebuild Continues

I forgot to mention that after I started all of the body work on the car a little voice in the back of my mind was telling me to go beyond just rebuilding the car the way it was. Do something different, do something cool it was telling me. So instead of just having my B back to original I started planning to make a few modifications.

The first thing that struck me was to get rid of those bulky horrendous side turn signal lights. My plans included welding up the turn signal holes and smoothing out the lines of the car by going without the stainless steel body molding.

Here is the fender prepped and ready for welding:

LeftFrontWingBefore.jpg

And here it is after welding up the holes:

LeftFrontWingAfter.jpg

Not too bad, uh? Having seen how the fender looks much nicer without the turn signals and side molding I decided to weld up the front turn signal locations as well. I found some really cool headlights that have the turn signal incorporated into the headlamp housing.

LeftFrontFenderNoTurnsignal_6305339.jpg

HeadlightwithTurnsignal.jpg

Next I'll show you how the wheel wells, shocks and wheel hubs came out. Stay tuned.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
1971 MGB Custom Rebuild Continues Yet Again

I'm glad you mentioned that Tony. Take a look at what the newly done suspension looks like now.

LeftFrontShock2_6305320.jpg

The Armstrong Shocks were in really great shape under all that dirt and grime. A little wire brushing and a few coats of clear to keep them protected and I'm off to the races.

LeftFrontShock_6305334.jpg

ShockCloseup_6305327.jpg

And here is what the newly refurbished Disc Brakes look like:

DiscBrake_6305344.jpg

DiscBrakeBack_6305346.jpg

And one of the lower control arms all nicely painted with new bushings.

LowerControlArm_6305342.jpg

Next up is the engine compartment and engine. Stay tuned.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Re: 1971 MGB Custom Rebuild Continues Yet Again

The hood was a steel one and it was shot. There must have been an inch of Bondo filling a huge dent right in the middle of the hood. Luckily I have a fairly decent Aluminum hood that I'm installing.

As for all of those rust through spots and drill holes, their all gone now. Welded in new dog legs. All of those pull holes and dents in the quarter panel were just too much too repair, so we cut another quarter panel from a donor car I had and welded that in place.

I'll get photos up of the body soon.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

So, are your questions retorical?

69MGC said:
Now what to do with those dirty old shocks and disc brakes.
And is this thread just about showing your superb work or to help you achieve it?

No disrespect meant...I'm just wondering the direction we're taking because I was going to make another suggestion but don't know whether you need it or not.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Fire away Tony I'm always open to suggestions.

I have a plan, but it's evolving as I proceed.

I'm sure you know that kind of planning, right?

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Before I forget, here are some pictures of the engine compartment all painted and awaiting the rebuilt engine.

EngineCompart_FrontView.jpg

EngineCompart_FireWall.jpg

The compartment is painted in High Temp Low Gloss Black. Pretty cool and it hides imperfections pretty good.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm just gonna wait to see where you are on the project - you may have already incorporated them or have a reason why you're not....

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Has anyone chopped the windshield of their MG or know someone who has? Do you have pictures?

I'm thinking of doing this to my project along with leaving off the wing windows and side roll up glass.

Just thinking outside the box.

kev

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Spridgetech....just Google "MGB Speedster":

url]

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Spent a few days getting the A arms and Discs on the car. Took me about 2 hours to get the right front done without scratching all that nice new paint. Hey, I even got it together without the weight of the engine in the car. Maybe that's why it took me two hours! The left front side went much quicker as I figured out that if I wrapped a ratchet strap around the lower A arm and the upper shock mount I could easily pull the pieces together with the spring in place.

RightFrontMounted_7115363.jpg

RightFrontMounted2_7115365.jpg

FrontViewSuspension_7115366.jpg

Now on to the steering rack and put on some knock around tires and wheels and I can move the car around in the garage nicely in preparation for the engine install.

Quick question... Should I put in the new wiring harness and brake lines before I put the engine and tranny in or should I wait until I have the engine in?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Before - definitely before....actually, you're gonna find places where you'll wish you'd put them in before anything else.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I almost forgot. I'm trying a little experiment with the springs. I sprayed both the top and bottom coils of the springs with 4 coats of PlastiDip and then I sprayed some heavy coats of PlastiDip in the well of the lower A arm to see if it will prevent any future rubbing and squeaking of the springs rubbing on the metal of the lower A arm.

I'll let you know if my experiment works. Although I may be trying to fix a problem that really isn't a problem at all.

Kev

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Springs shouldn't squeak in the A-arm! Never had that happen...they're under pressure so they can't move around.