• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB First potential project: 1971 MGB

Sean_NH

Freshman Member
Hi All!

After about 10 years of batting the idea around, I'm finally at the point where I'm ready to tackle my first project. After a few months of keeping my eyes open, I came across this:

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4637927880.html

It seems like it has potential, and I'm going to go check it out later this week. I see some rust (I'm sure there's more that I can't see), but things look fairly straight overall, and it looks like it has good bones. What I'm wondering is what are the unique problem areas t(or bonus features) o be mindful of on these cars? Not just in terms of rust, but in terms of all systems. I'm not looking to make this a show car, but to have it as an around town car to enjoy during the summer months.

Thanks in advance!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Only thing I can say about it is, if it's a 71, it has the wrong rear bumper on it. 71s had a split rear bumper, the only year. PJ

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Only thing I can say about it is, if it's a 71, it has the wrong rear bumper on it. 71s had a split rear bumper, the only year. PJ

That was '70, Paul.

Sean - aside from rust, check all hydraulics, and electricals are always a hotspot -specifically terminal connections. There is a very concise write up on waking a sleeping MGB, written by one of our own late moderators. I have it bookmarked on my now-dead laptop. If someone else doesn't post it for you, I'll do so when I get my new one.

Mickey

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
That was '70, Paul.

Mickey

Ah ha!Your right Mickey, you can tell I'm not awake yet, I had a 70 and yes it had a split bumper! Now how dumb is that! :stupid:
Sorry Sean, my bad! PJ

OP
S

Sean_NH

Freshman Member
Thanks guys. Along the subject of year, are we generally talking model year, or production year? It seems like production year is pretty easy to get from the VIN, but the model year can be more difficult.

Mickey - I did come across the writeup you referred to last night. Very informative. As for electrical systems, I'll keep an eye on that (I actually saw a Spitfire years ago that was completely burned out as a result of a failed wiring harness). I have a lot of low voltage DC electrical experience from my work, so I'm good there.

The steepest learning curve for me I think will be the body work. It's not something I've had much exposure to actually repairing.

mathrin

I got a 71 this summer and have been loving it. It needs some loving in return, but that's to be expected.

What is this post you speak of? I wouldn't mind reading over it. I've got some electrical gremlins in mine but nothing prohibitive.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sean -

Do a Google search for "MGB VIN Decoder" - has all you need to know.

OP
S

Sean_NH

Freshman Member
I got a 71 this summer and have been loving it. It needs some loving in return, but that's to be expected.

What is this post you speak of? I wouldn't mind reading over it. I've got some electrical gremlins in mine but nothing prohibitive.

I believe this is it: https://www.mgexp.com/article/awakening-sleeping-mg.html . There's far more to it than I would have actually done, but I can certainly see where it is all a good idea.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's the one, Sean. Tony took the time to do a comprehensive write-up and if it is followed, you will have a good working knowledge of the car as a "bonus'. :thumbsup:

OP
S

Sean_NH

Freshman Member
Thanks for all the responses. I went and took a look today and I'm still on the fence, but I think I'm going to end up passing on this one. There's a lot of rust through on the drivers side castle rail, a lot of rust on the body panels. The biggest concern is that it looks like it had some pretty poor body work earlier on in its life, the wrong size tires on the rear (couldn't get my hand between the top of the tire and the wheel well) Too bad, because mechanically it's very sound. I think I'll hold off for something a bit more expensive that needs a bit less body work.

The search continues. Thanks for all the advice on this one!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I think I'll hold off for something a bit more expensive that needs a bit less body work.

This is the way to go for sure. They made half a million MGBs, there are plenty out there with sound bodies. Bodywork is stupidly expensive if you pay someone else to do it (ask me how I know) and complex and time consuming if you try and do it yourself. In contrast, mechanical work is pretty straightforward and much less expensive to do -- or even to pay someone else to do.

Good luck with the hunt, keep us in the loop.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Discretion IS the better part of valor. :wink:

Good call, bodywork is the most time consuming (if done properly) and expensive part of a resto project. Even if you find just a good rolling chassis and have to hunt down the running gear I suspect it would be less expensive.

And I believe there were more like a million MGB's made.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
And I believe there were more like a million MGB's made.

Just over 500,000, including GT, C, and V8 models. Was the best selling sports car ever until the Miata came along -- and given how unchanged the MGB was, can still arguably hold that title.

D

Deleted member 8987

https://www.mg-cars.org.uk/MGB/mgbspec.html

Tourer, GT
Numbers built: MkI
1962 4518
1963 23308
1964 26542
1965 24179 524
1966 22675 10241
MkII introduced 1967 15128 11396
1968 17355 8352
1969 18896 12134
1970 23866 12704
1971 22511 12169
1972 26222 13171
1973 19546 10208
1974 19713 9638
1975 19967 4609
1976 25860 3698
1977 24482 4198
1978 21703 5652
1980 10891 3424

492,480 up though V-8, if I read that right. Doesn't specify C models separately

OP
S

Sean_NH

Freshman Member
Well, in any event - there's no shortage and I should be able to find something... It's just a matter of time - if only I were more patient!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well, in any event - there's no shortage and I should be able to find something... It's just a matter of time - if only I were more patient!

Patience is tough, and I've got the rusty car to prove it!

Hold out for that clean-bodied car, it's worth the wait.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I sit corrected. :thumbsup: