• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 1957 TR3/ Minor detail questions Part Five

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There are three holes in the bulkhead for the steering column support bracket. Why is the center hole larger than the other two? And, are the protruding nuts and washers body color or something else. I know Bill Piggott had gone through a tremendous amount of work for the restorer, but I find that he is not always correct and tends to use a lot of photos that are not "correct" using his own words. I have seen Piggott's "concourse" engine bay photos with unpainted fender mounting hardware which cannot be correct, in my opinion, if the bodies were assembled, painted, and then dropped on the chassis. Not trying to be fussy here, but let's face it, we are all a little anal here, or we wouldn't be here in the first place.

G

Not really sure about the hole size question,but you can make your self nuts about concours corectness. These cars were slapped together and rolled out the door with the main goal being to generate cash for a war recovering England.If you truely want a car to be "correct",Paint it in a wind storm and rush through it like you have a date with your dream woman and have 20 mins to get ready. The pride and workmanship that goes into a restoration was unheard of at the factory.The biggest problem any concours car owner has is dealing with so-called "expert"judges. I have seen enough foolishness to write a book. Everything from judges not being able to tell leather from vinyl,to actually arguing between themselves as to what's correct,while Im standing 4 feet away.If you havent done the proper allahs to the car marque rulers or spent your money with the chosen suppliers,you might get a friendly smile,but when the points are totaled you,ll come up short. Build you car using all the info you can find and do a professional job. Build it for you,and take pride in you accomplishment. There's an old saying. Those who cant ,teach. Those who cant teach,teach gym. Those who cant build a car,write big checks. Those who write big checks,hate people who can build the cars themselves.90% of judges dont have a car,and if they do,they write big checks.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
John_Malinick said:
90% of judges dont have a car,and if they do,they write big checks.
Well, I guess I don't know even 10% of all judges. But it seems strange to me that 99.9% of the ones I do know, own at least one Triumph (some of them many) and do a significant portion of their own work.

I never noticed that hole being larger, but then I'm definitely no purist restorer. Might well be (as John implies) that something didn't fit at the factory and they just rammed a file through the hole until it did.

Yeah, Bill made some mistakes. But he is by far the best resource we have as yet. If you think you can do better, then by all means do so!

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had to go out and check, but you are correct, the center hole is larger on mine too. I can't imagine why because all six washers and 3 nuts are the same size.

I'd guess the same color as the car. Or at least the engine bay. Unless you're using those stainless kits for everything else under the hood...

At this point, I'm thinking my car will be a light yellow, but the bolt on attachments under the hood are (and will be) black, as will the exposed ends and nuts of that support bracket.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Seem to recall the larger centre hole was needed for adjustment of the steering support bracket.

Being a triangulated mounting, the upper hole had to be larger to allow the bracket to rotate fully to the left or right on the axis of the lower two bolt holes.

Viv.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

Just my point of view.

I`m doing a "Body Off / Nut & Bolt" on a `57 Small Mouth. My Engine Bay & Inner Wells have been finish painted (Beige/Tan). I purchased "ALL" new Hdwr. for "EVERYTHING". I like to see that "NEW" Hdwr. shining against the paint & I have to guess; Most people like to see the same. If I were going to "Paint" all the Hdwr; Heck, I`d just clean & re-use the Old Hdwr & No one would ever know the difference.

Its kind of like buying, building a house; You should be building with the thought in mind that perhaps someday (?) You may be selling it & would like to make a profit.

So; Showing nice, new shiny Nuts & Bolts shows the "Detail" in a Restoration & I believe that adds "Value & $$$" to Your Car.

Its whatever turns you on! If you`d like to be "100%" correct on ea. & every detail; Contact "Mark Macy" @ "Macy`s Garage". He`s been a "Concours" Triumph Judge for a very long time.

Best Wishes,

Russ

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
This will probably send John off on another tangent but I would suggest getting a copy of TRAs judging guidelines. Go to TRA's website www.triumphregister.com then click on news & events go to the bottom of that link to "Download the TR2/3 TRA Judging Standards..." About 60 or so pages that will answer most of your detail questions.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
TRA in Fort Wayne, Indiana for 2011

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Is that Uberdrive? :smile:

Typically it's O for overdrive.

Scott

lbcs_r_fun

Jedi Hopeful
bnw said:
I know Bill Piggott had gone through a tremendous amount of work for the restorer, but I find that he is not always correct and tends to use a lot of photos that are not "correct" using his own words. I have seen Piggott's "concourse" engine bay photos with unpainted fender mounting hardware which cannot be correct

You will find distinct differences of opinion between what is correct and not correct on these cars depending on which side of the pond you live. I too have seen obvious errors in Bill's photos. However, with the exception of one or two examples in all of Bill's books, those cars have been restored to various standards. TRA, IMO, is still the best resource They have done an excellent job of establishing what is correct for the sidescreen cars. In North America, we have the advantage over the UK and Europe because the majority of these cars were sold here. When TRA began documenting the details several decades ago, there were still several very good original cars to serve as a reference. The UK never had that advantage!