• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1275 intake manifolds [Weber, HS4, custom]

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
So, per my EFI project, I will need a different manifold if I go my single TB route. I’d prefer a downdraft setup for various reasons, but can just do a sidedraft if necessary...

1) Weber Manifold – know of any for sale cheap? I don’t want the carb, I just need a manifold to bolt my single TB to. If I go this route, can anyone tell me what the height of a weber carb is, with and without the air filter? Concerned about bonnet clearance. This seems to be my easiest route as I’d just need an adapter plate. Also, how is the Weber in terms of performance? I am thinking to the future, when I want to do some headwork, cam, etc. FYI, I don’t see myself buying an aluminum or other head, I plan on working the stocker as much as possible (or monetarily feasible!!!!!)

2) Single HS4 manifold…I am using a single 2.125” diameter TB. I suppose the HS4 manifold could be a good sidedraft candidate, as long as the two branches of the manifold are acceptable from a performance standpoint. I’d either axe the standard mount and weld in my fabricated one, or build an adapter plate. Any opinions on this?

3) Custom manifold…what does the “bowl” just below the carb look like on the intake manifold? Is there any type of divider or diverter into each branch, or is it just a wide open cavity? I was considering each method – a single open cavity, or using exhaust tubing cut and welded to make a “W” shape. The open cavity, I’d imagine, would have more turbulence and may atomize fuel more efficiently. The “W” would probably have less turbulence, but it’d direct air down to each port better. Any thoughts? Lastly, I was considering dropping the TB portion of the manifold down slightly to have more bonnet clearance (if needed). In this case, the runners to each port would have to flow upward. Any issues you’d see with this? Seems to me most setups are in a downward approach, so I don’t know if I’d have issues with gravity. I was thinking I wouldn’t because there’d be a vacuum pulling air/fuel into the cylinder, so it’s not like it solely relies on gravity to be fed. On the other hand, I don’t want fuel just pooling up in the intake, that spells disaster!!!!

Thanks all, I value your input!

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
ebay has lots of weber manifolds. they show up occasionally. Check both ebay com and ebay co uk.

Side draught Webers flow very well, better than most any other setup. Try to stay away from a Mini manifold as they are very short, and tall. They are'nt called gooseneck for nothing. The down draught Weber manifolds do not flow very well.

TBs can fit onto a home made manifold also. Nothing wrong with steel tube! This way you could avoid the s-bends necessary to adapt the wider spaced intake ports to the narrower spaced weber ports.

The HS4 manifold uses a balance tube which does worse than nothing for flow. It doesn't balance. It restricts flow at its junction with the main pipes. As vizard said. It's almost impossible to make a poorly flowing manifold for these engines but BMC managed to do it.

If you must use a down draught TB, and if you want a bowl under it there should be a diverter, but not too sharp. Nice round top because flow doesn't just go either direction, but also from the one to the other. Don't bet on this having less turbulence.

You are probably best off using a side flow TB. Upwards flowing runners are not good. Gravity IS an issue. Don't do it. Read about the fuel film.

D.

Morris

Yoda
Also, 2.125" throttle seems way too big to me. Hopefully one of our resident engineers will offer a more informed opinion on this.

OP
Atrus

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
racingenglishcars, thanks a ton for the info, that helps. Still waiting to see if I get Vizard's book for my birthday, if not, I'll be ordering a copy before proceeding on anything.

Morris said:
Also, 2.125" throttle seems way too big to me. Hopefully one of our resident engineers will offer a more informed opinion on this.

Morris, I won't even pretend to be knowledgeable with fluid mechanics, but I figured out that twin HS2's bore has a total surface area of 2.45 in^2, twin HS4's have 3.53, and the TB has 3.54. So, I figured it'd be in the same ballpark as the twin HS4's. I know it's a little large, but I figured I'd take a stab at it. I also am going on the assumption (which could be totally wrong) that if I use the proper sized runner diamter, it should end up OK.

Lastly, I got this TB with 6 injectors and a coolant temp sensor for $15 /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif It's my starting point, if it's no good, I'm not too concerned. Didn't want to miss out on a great deal!

Morris

Yoda
If you are interested in making a custom manifold, I have seen guys on the Megasquirt forum who have successfully adapted down draft TBIs into side draft units. That's pretty much what Moss sells for their MGB EFI kit. I mean to say that it is a cusom made unit, but it's design more resembles that of a typical downdraft TBI than that of a the typical side draft TBI you see on snowmobiles and motorcycles.

derf

Freshman Member
What you want is a manifold for a single HIF6. I have one from Titan and one from Superflow.
Like this one:

b97e_1.JPG

The Mini and Spridget intakes have different carb angles. I think the Spridget is something like 20degrees and the Mini is something like 30degrees.
Cheers,
Derf

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All this is covered in the Vizard's book.