• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1275 donor for the Bugeye or stay with 1098?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - I've been buggering about with the Triumphs, but the Bugeye is starting to whisper to me again.

She currently has a somewhat tired 1098 in her and I'm thinking about trying to source a 1275 in better condition to swap in.

Will the 1275 make much of a difference over a 1098 if they are in equal condition?

Are their better/worse/avoid years for the 1275?

Thanks!

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
A stock 1275 will give more umph over a stock 1098.

For the money though I would renew the 1098 with a few simple upgrades and you will have a reliable engine with probably about the same output of an un~renewed 1275.

If you go the 1275 route, I prefer the pre smog engines. The heads just look cleaner with a 12g940, but that is only my opinion. Avoid the later low compression ones (that have a L on the engine plate) unless you plan on replacing the pistons.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If you're planning on doing a full rebuild, it makes sense to switch to a 1275 -- all the speed equipment is really made for the 1275, and the rebuild costs are the same.

I'd agree with Pat -- if you're just doing a bit of a refresh, the 1098 would probably be the cheaper option, If you're going for the full rebuild, find a 1275.

My 1275 core was a late one (74), smog and low compression. With the head work and new pistons I was doing, it really didn't matter. For a swap in, keep with the earlier versions.

MCS

Jedi Warrior
I would agree with all that has been said. I am part way down the road you may go. I have a 66 sprite with a 1098 original eng. My plan was to do a cheap rebuild and keep the drive train mostly stock. After eng disassembly and comparing costs and performance parts I elected to go with the 1275, there is a ton of stock and performance parts out there. Many mini forums have lots of good info on the 1275. That made me go with the 1275, it bothers me a little to not have the original motor but I am hoping that the 6 grand I am spending will smoke the tires all the way up the street. Normally I do not do that, but looking forward to the horsepower. (Would you believe I really thought I could get away with 500-1000 on the 1098 refresh). Parts are available for the 1098 but seem to be more expensive and not as easy to locate. Hope this helps
Cheers Phil

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
One major reason Mini forums don't talk so much about the 1098 is because they didn't come with that engine. Though very few came with the 1071 which was a different animal completely, and the MG/Austin 1100 came with the 1098, but that's not a popular swap, and I don't know if it even came in England.

I had the same delema. I have a perfectly good but seriously worn out 1100 big main engine, and I bought a disassembled 1275, which is cheaper to put together than the 1100 and probably a bit more torque.

Pictures of it on my rebuild site.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Okay Phil

I gotta bite, what kinda work are you doing for six grand?

Pat

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Oky here you go

Bored offset to 1363 cc, using evo 73.0 mm pistons (mini spares) compression 10:1
Swiftune cam and duplex vernier timing gear and lifters
Roller rockers
All new arp bolts
123 distributor
complete new exhaust, apt header, pace muffler
HIF 4 single carburetor and intake plus KN filter
Aluminum valve cover
Hap cylinder head, ported, polished and all new parts.
Crank ground, block decked
Everything is being balanced
Had to line hone the main block bearing caps.
centre main strap was added
New pressure plate and clutch, bearing
New oil pump, water pump
Changing over to alternator from positive gnd
New SU neg gnd fuel pump
The list goes on, I have lost my mind was planning to spend a grand at the most. I am sure I missed a few parts, should get the block back next week, then the fun part begins. Hap tells me another 4 weeks and I should have my new head.
Phil

Country flag
"another 4 weeks and I should have my new head"

Have fun with your new head.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
There were gobs of 1000 and 1100 minis around when I lived in england in the late 80s. The 1275s were the more expensive coopers or newer versions. All the parts seemed to swap. All them litl 4 cylinder austins and morrises were about the same. We only see maybe 10% of all those cars here in the states. The A series powered them all. I still love the old minors, but there were also majors, there were minis and there were also maxis, allegros, princess, etc. I helped my brother with his midget way back in the late 70s, so when i got to england I had experience to help out all the other GIs with their beater LBCs to keep them running for going to work. They bought me lots of beer. It was very different in the way that so many cars had the same things that would swap. It was the same with the little fords over there too. All them ran on Pinto engines :lol:

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Kim,
Majors? A prime minister maybe, or in Australia. Maxis didn't have A-series motors, and I don't remember a 1098 Mini, though there were other 1275s than the Cooper S.
Most Minis were 848 or 998. GTs were 1275. Coopers were 997, then 998. Cooper S were 970 (early, rare, and excellent!), 1071 and 1275.