• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Paints codes

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Pliszka said:
Do you know the code of Healey blue and old english white ???----

-NO!, But search "Ivory White Paint Codes". Go to page 5 and scroll down to "GregW" and click on that entry all you want to know be there.
grin.gif

Rafal

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you use Glasurit by RM the Healey blue is BU2 and OEW is WTR. This paint is very good and very expensive but the color is spot on correct and if you have a code, you can have the color matched later if necessary. Hope this helps and have a good day!

John

pliska, i have all the codes, but id first ask what year is your car?, do you wish to keep it as it was when first painted?, "healey blue"? what one?, for example we have two "old english whites". first is mfg. code wt.03. ici. code 2379, second "old english white" mfg. code is n/a, ici code 2122, there are at least 13 blue colors used by austin healey on diff. models of diff. years some used on sprites as well, its best if i just once and for all take pitures of all the pages of the books i have and submit them here. :savewave:

Country flag
Anthony7777,

My A/H is headed to the paint shop Tuesday. Its a 67 BJ8, which white paint code is correct for it? HM build sheet said car was originally Ivory white, I planned to use the WT3 , code 2379. Painter will mix paint but do want have correct color of white to give him.

Marv

Country flag
Sat the BJ8 on its feet after being on scissor lift for 5 months. I replaced the front cap and both doors. Had good door gaps. After pushing around for several minutes the car settled and both doors were hitting the B post at the top. BOY, was I [censored]. Worked on rehanging doors all day today. Got them back so they will shut properly and not hit.

Going to paint shop tomorrow, so if any one can tell me what the proper paint code is for 67 Ivory white I would be so grateful. I'm ready to go.

Thanks.

Marv

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Marv, do you realise that the original paint colors were so unrepeatable that cars of a given color were shipped to dealers in color batch lots. The factory did not want the color differences between cars painted the same color but with different paint lots to show. This was a Particular concern for Healey Blue and white cars. So take one from 7777's list above and you will be good to go.----FWIW--KEOKE

Country flag
Did not know that about the paint. Thanks for the info. I had tried a pint of Old English white that local PPG store mixed for me. It was alot "whiter" than the paint in the trunk. I like the original "creamer" white color better. I did get the formula for the 2379 so I will go with that.

Thanks again,

Marv

marvin gruber, you should be safe with your choice, old english white aka. "ivory" was used on bj-7,s from feb, 1962-nov, 1963, then again on bj-8's from nov, 1963-dec, 1967....wt.03, ici 2379. :savewave:

Country flag
Thanks, that makes me feel better. Now to get it sprayed. Painter had a hot insurance job come in so guess who got bumped. Can't complain, he is good and price is good as well. I have plenty left to do cleaning up over bits.

Marv

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm kinda with keoke on this one, as not only do the batches of paint change from batch to batch, (even one drop of tint either way will make a change) one has to consider the composition of the base white has changed over the decades, as well as the tint formula, and the color your trying to match has faded/changed due to chemical breakdown/and or other causes, and even the color pictures from yesteryear will have changed, think you old color family snaps!
One may have to adapt to reality instead of chasing a dream

zblu, are these old codes with todays paint going to be exactly the same as original? nah, but thell get you very close, heck i knew a guy that painted a bn7 with house paint and a roller but i dont think our friends wants to do that.