• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OEW paint codes

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Been researching paint codes for Old English White, the color my Sprite will be repainted in (the original color). Car has been painted at least once in its life, so don't know if the paint on there is a good match or not. It's not bad, so at worse we can match that.

Here's what I've seen so far:

Factory code: WT3
DuPont: 8207
ICI: 2379

Anyone done an OEW car recently with a good experience with a paint formula?

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Drew

I had those same codes. I believe that mine is a pretty close match to the original. My paint guy used a Valspar Omega 2K Low VOC Polyurethane. The mix formula was as follows:

W51 429.9
Y77 42.3
K76 27.7
852C85 323.4

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
I recently learned from Terry McArthur that Volvo "California White" is a very close match for OEW.

I've seen new VW's and Fords in off-whites that look right to me.

nomad

Yoda
Wimbleton white is too white IMHO. My midget was OEW with 50 years of additional age. I just had the body shop scan the spot on the car that looked most antique and right to me and it came out perfect. I may have a touch up can around somewhere and I'll look to see if it has paint codes on it.

Kurt

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I had those same codes. I believe that mine is a pretty close match to the original.

Thanks for the codes -- I've added them to my notes for the painter.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A number of guys seem to use Ford Wimbledon White, although I'm not sure it's an exact match for OEW. Here's a discussion: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?81044

Wimbleton white is too white IMHO. My midget was OEW with 50 years of additional age. I just had the body shop scan the spot on the car that looked most antique and right to me and it came out perfect. I may have a touch up can around somewhere and I'll look to see if it has paint codes on it.

Thanks. I've added them to my possibilities list. I'd love to see those codes if you have them, Kurt. Options are good at this point.

I recently learned from Terry McArthur that Volvo "California White" is a very close match for OEW.

I've seen new VW's and Fords in off-whites that look right to me.

I've read a bit about some of those modern colors that are a decent match. Penny will not be a show car so I'm less concerned about a "correct" match than I am about finding a shade that I like. Ultimately I may wind up just matching what's on the car, we'll see.

Thanks for the ideas so far, helpful stuff.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Hard to know how much OEW would have yellowed over time too...

At least if you stick with a modern formula, future touch ups will be easier. (this is what I tell myself)

Beetle
Cube
F-350
Mini
All cars that (I think) come in a reasonable OEW shade. The Volvo shade is an older color I think. Maybe 70's -80's, not sure though.

nomad

Yoda
Forgot to check the color when I was out in the shop today, Drew, maybe later tonight. It warmed up to zero today so not real enthusiastic about going back out.
The ability of the modern body shop to match color now days is amazing. When I was younger I always dreaded having to have repair done because it never matched! One caveat, I had black water based done last year on my Miata and it is not as black!! I'm blaming it on water based paint pigments!

Kurt.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight

Kurt
Wimbledon White is different th4ought out the years, the 60s had alot of cream tones

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Forgot to check the color when I was out in the shop today, Drew, maybe later tonight. It warmed up to zero today so not real enthusiastic about going back out..

No worries, I'm just in the gathering data mode.

It's not super critical that the color be original/correct, just that it's a shade of cream/white/OEW that I like. I'm sure we'll look at some modern car colors as well. I just want to make sure it's not an appliance white (pure white).

nomad

Yoda
Drew, sorry for not getting back sooner but all I have is Nason touch up can with their serial number on a sticker. Don't believe it crosses to anything. Too bad since I get a lot of compliment's on the color. Pic's are in british V8 if you are interested. I would experiment with just a touch more beige or yellow and brown in the original formula. My car had original paint and I just had them scan the most aged looking spot.
If anyone is familiar with the touch up cans and , I think, 5 digit, serial number might mean anything I can get it for you.

Kurt.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for looking, Kurt. I've got a decent enough base of info now to be able to talk intelligently to the painter about color. They may have some ideas a well.