• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 wheel options for TR6

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
I've been thinking about changing the stock wheels on my 75 TR6. I'm wondering if anyone knows if wheels from other makes/models of cars will fit a TR6. There seem to be several Japanese makes that use the 4 lug pattern.

Also, I ran across an article where someone had moved to a 16 inch wheel. Anyone else have experience with that?

Thanks,
Jeff

BlackSnake

Freshman Member
Hi Jeff,
I don't really feel qualified to comment on this topic other than to say that I think the Minilite/Panasport style of wheels are always a great looking upgrade to the TR6.

Mike

rersk

Freshman Member
Hi Jeff,

I put a set of 8 spoke bolt-on 15' alloy wheels from the Victoria British catalogue. They look good, but when I turn the steering all the way over, the tire scrape on the inside of the wheel well. I think this type of wheel needs a spacer to set them out a little. so far I've just put up with the limited turning radius.

OP
J

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
I wanted to confirm that the TR6 wheel lug spacing was considered 114.3mm. I was looking on the infamous E-bay and there were several sets of 4 lug wheels with a 114.3 sizing. My measurements of 4 1/2 seem to equal that. Can any of you verify that is the spacing I should go for?

I'm actually looking at buying locally(keep the small shops in business), but wanted to make sure.

IMHO -I'm actually surprised how many styles of wheels are available with that 114.3 lug spacing. Most are unfortunately not close to "period" correct for a TR.......ugh. Newer body styles maybe. Just hope they would be the right type. Seems the charts indicate to fit alot of the Japanese imports.

Thanks in advance for your inputs,
Jeff

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
Jeff--Although it sounds like you're looking for some junkyard swap wheels, may I suggest new wheels from Revolution. Check out the $198. 5-spoke sport wheel for the TR6 here: https://www.ttrsracing.com/clearance_sale.htm

I have a set of those with 205/70-15 tires and absolutely adore the look and performance.

Cheers.

Rick O.

Brian's TR6

Freshman Member
I have purchased the Panasport 16" x 7" wheeels for my 76 TR6. The tires are to be Kumho 225-50-ZR16. The clearance with a 16" wheel/tire appears better than 15" with 70 series tires. The rolling diameter I have also decreased to compensate for the lowered suspension. I expect about a 6% error on speedo 100=94. The lock to lock turning is where clearance is most vulnerable going hard into a corner. But at lock in a TR6 max speed is probably about 30K without the flip thing happening.
You will have to watch very closely the offset with other wheels not designed for the TR6. Negative offset pulls the centreline of the wheel towards the center of the car while positive offset pushes it out. Common offsets are 0, 40, 60, and 80mm. Good luck with the search.