• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A wiper motor parking?

deuce

Country flag
Hi guys.. Had my 1960 3a on the road today. First time moving under it's own power in 30 years! Still got some work to do..but my question.. The wiper motor parks fine but at the top of the stroke.. not the bottom. What??? Could I have wired something backwards? Something assembled wrongly in the drive box itself? I would own both. Thanks

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That is mechanical...the wiper heads under the dash need to be flipped so that the park is in the opposite direction.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
There's a cylindrical thingy (technical term) on top of the wiper motor assembly. Loosen the screws that hold the cover on and rotate it a bit. That will change the park position for the wipers. I don't know if this will compensate for the wiper heads being installed wrong, if that is the problem. but it is much easier.

OP
D

deuce

Country flag
That is mechanical...the wiper heads under the dash need to be flipped so that the park is in the opposite direction.
Flipped.. that's another technical term. What would need to be "flipped"? I've got the Bentley manual but can't find the breakdown for the wiper linkage. Wish they had put an index together for that thing.

OP
D

deuce

Country flag
There's a cylindrical thingy (technical term) on top of the wiper motor assembly. Loosen the screws that hold the cover on and rotate it a bit. That will change the park position for the wipers. I don't know if this will compensate for the wiper heads being installed wrong, if that is the problem. but it is much easier.
Thanks for the replies guys. OK, I'm looking at the drawing of the wiper motor and gearbox in my Bentley manual..page 328 in my book. Are you talking about the gears being out of sync somehow? Yeah, easier, though I can't say anything has been really easy on this rebuild. It's always been two steps forward, one step back.. or visa versa

OP
D

deuce

Country flag
Thanks for the replies guys. OK, I'm looking at the drawing of the wiper motor and gearbox in my Bentley manual..page 328 in my book. Are you talking about the gears being out of sync somehow? Yeah, easier, though I can't say anything has been really easy on this rebuild. It's always been two steps forward, one step back.. or visa versa
OK..I think I found the thingy you're talking about... The cup shaped thing wit a contact plate inside and a wire coming out the top. I rotated it 180 deg. The wipers don't park automatically but I can stop them at the bottom of the sweep w the switch. Anyone see a problem w that? I could sure live w that if there's no harm. My body doesn't twist like it used to in order to get to the wiper heads

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Nope...it is in the 2 wiper heads under the dash. If you look at them , my technical term is perfect for the situation! Your problem is NOT with the motor assembly. The heads can be assembled with the cable running at the front...or assembled with the cable entering at the rear. You must remove the backplates on the heads, spin them opposite the way they currently are (front for rear or vs, versa), and then run the cable in that direction. There was a difference in the TR2 versus the TR3, so I do not remember which is which, but however your heads are installed is backwards, so just flip them around so the drive cable is on the opposite side.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Scroll down through post #107 here and you will see how to assemble the heads (or "wheel houses"), and how they can be reversed when installed.

OP
D

deuce

Country flag
Scroll down through post #107 here and you will see how to assemble the heads (or "wheel houses"), and how they can be reversed when installed.

Excuse my rookiness.. How does one find post #107?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Last edited:

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You just look at the post numbers at the top right corner of ever post...and scroll down to #107. For example...this post is #12 in this thread.

However, look at the pictures above for the wheel houses. Those need to be taken apart and flipped so the cable is on the opposite side. Remove the back plate, remove the cable, spin the house 180 degrees, reinsert the cable, then install the backing plate.

Joel Lester

Country flag
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply pull off the wiper blade arm and re-install where you'd want it to "park"? That way the next time you use them it will stop at that point?

Joel

OP
D

deuce

Country flag
It's a thought but it seems wrong. It was parking/resting at the top of the stroke and if I removed the arm and moved it to the bottom of the stroke the rotation of the gears would think the arms still want to go down. Thanks
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply pull off the wiper blade arm and re-install where you'd want it to "park"? That way the next time you use them it will stop at that point?

Joel

OP
D

deuce

Country flag
OK..I think I found the thingy you're talking about... The cup shaped thing wit a contact plate inside and a wire coming out the top. I rotated it 180 deg. The wipers don't park automatically but I can stop them at the bottom of the sweep w the switch. Anyone see a problem w that? I could sure live w that if there's no harm. My body doesn't twist like it used to in order to get to the wiper heads
Update.. I played w that cup shaped "Thingy" rotating it about 1/8 of a turn more and voila!.. The things parked where they belong. Thanks to Sarastro/ Steve Maas for that suggestion and all other contributors. Boy, am I glad I didn't have to climb under that dash

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
"cap shaped thingy"...not sure what that is or how it would help, but glad you got it resolved!

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Now that you've inspired me to learn a little more about TR wiper motors--it looks like the motor on your TR2 is thingyless. Later motors have them. It houses the contact for the parking function, thus the wire coming out of the top.

Below, my motor pre-restoration.

motor.jpg