• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A wiper motor mount grommets TR3A

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I received the mounting kit from Moss and was about to re-mount my cleaned and repainted wiper motor.

How the %$%*^$@@ do I push those rubber "grommets" through the three mount holes?

The grommets are like two donuts top and bottom. You have to push the bottom "donut" through the mount hole so the motor sits on the top as a cushion.

Any suggestions other than a small nuclear powered sledge hammer? I've tried pushing with a screwdriver but am very close to ripping through the rubber. Wondered if there's some trick or technique you experienced guys know.

Thanks.
Tom

dklawson

Yoda
I think all the Lucas motors use similar mounting bushings. God knows how they ever fit them.

When I looked into buying a set while restoring the Mini I decided the price was too high and made a suitable alternative. If you don't figure out how to install these you could always do what I did.

I found a size of rubber fuel hose that would just pass through the holes in the motor's mounting flange (I think the bore of the tubing was 3/16" which is just right for the 10-32 mounting screws. ) I then looked for another size of fuel line that would just press over the OD of the 3/16" fuel line (I think it ended up being 3/8" fuel line. ) I cut washers about 3/32" to 1/8" thick out of the 3/8" tubing and long cylinders out of the 3/16" tubing, perhaps about 3/8" long. I slide the 3/16" tube pieces through the wiper mounting flange and put one of the 3/8" tube washers on each side. When you mount this to the car, the flat washers under the heads of the screws conceal the fact that these aren't original. You'll be the only person who ever knows. (Unless you post this method on an internet message board. )

PeterK

Yoda
Spray with WD40 and they will slip in if you have strong hands. I've done two sets. WD40 is the key.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'll go a step further: silicone grease. Not the anemic spray stuff in the parts houses. REAL silicone grease. Owl poop has nothing on this stuff. It makes the garden hose/golf ball rumor a real possibility.

One known good reference: Eaton Industries part # 71203.

Be advised: ANYTHING it contaminates will be as slippery as what you're trying to argue into the impossibly small opening. 'nother words: don't apply it "liberally". Fingers will lose their grip on a CAB if that stuff gets on 'em. BTDT.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
NutmegCT said:
How the %$%*^$@@ do I push those rubber "grommets" through the three mount holes?

Your third word in this sentence is how I handle all similar problems. By now, I think I can speak about 8 languages as well as signing in swear words. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif It often is my best therapy before I retackle any difficult task.

Keep smiling tell Tee Yah "Hi" for me!

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ivory soap liquid dish washing soap and water. I think by the time I was done it contained more dish washing soap than water. I also cheated and used a very small flat headed screw driver to push the grommets in. Very similar to putting a tire on a rim. Start at one end and work it in and around to the other side.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Good info:
Thanks.
I will be replacing these gromets also.
I`m currently in the process of refurbishing my W.W. motor and related hardware. Iv cleaned and painted the components, replaced the w.w. motor brushes, replaced the park mechanism wire, greased all the bushings and gear mechanisms, cleaned all of the old grease off of the wiper wheelboxes, tubes and drive cable. Re-greased everything, I am missing one component to having a complete working windscreen washer assembly. Does anyone know where I can possibly accquire one of these?
Img_0059.jpg

NOT the nozzle, I just need the barbed fitting the hose connects to
Img_0058.jpg

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Gentlemen - thank you for the suggestions. I've repainted the mount, and will give it a try when the paint is dried.

Kerry - I sent you a PM about the barbed fitting. I've got an extra.

Tom