• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Windscreen Assembly, TR 3 post 60000

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Morning I'm back working on my car and I'm sitting here looking at all the nicely chromed windscreen parts and I see no threads in the upper (7/8" screw length) stanchion hole and no threads in the third hole in the middle of the stanchion. Please tell me that it's supposed to be that way and what do I do to make it work ? OR if they are supposed to be threaded how do I fix it?

Doe's that make any sense? If not tell me and I will re-write it.

Your help greatly appreciated!

Tinkerman

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi Dick - the basic windshield assembly is the same for pre and post 60000 cars - the only difference being in the stanchion attachment to the car - the early cars being removable with a half twist on the dzus fastener.

Yes, it's supposed to be that way. There are 3 screws per side that hold the windshield frame to the stanchions. The upper 2 have threaded holes in the windshield frame (you can see the thread in the channel in the 2nd pic in the post below) . Note you need 4 of 323-085 from Moss - 2 per side - the upper and the middle. The longer lower screw is p/n 323-305 - 2 total - 1 per side.

The lower one threads into the corner bracket (Moss p/n 802-675) - you can see traces of the brown primer around the screw hole in the corner bracket in the photo in the thread below - step #7 (the frame is upside down in the pic). So there are no threads in the stanchion itself. This is why it's critical to not mess up the length - the screws come very close to hitting the glass. Also be sure the tenon plate is in place.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...-Windshield-Rebuild-and-Assembly-Step-by-Step

Hope that clarifies.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
As per the link, there are no threads in the staunchions. The fixing screws pass throught the staunchions and tenon plates into threads inside the glass frame. That's why it's critical to have the correct length screws, or they hit the edge of the glass and shatter it.

A dummy fit up before glass is helpful to ensure the screws don't expose past the thread blocks inside the frame.

Typical screws supplied per side are 2 x 7/8" and 1 x 1" for the lowest hole where the staunchion is slightly thicker.

Viv

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Thanks for the info Bruce and Viv. Pictures are very helpful Bruce, I know they will keep me from making an error or three. Unfortunetly some PO drilled and re-threaded the top and middle holes in the frame side sections. 10/32 is too small and 1/4-20 is too big, sigh. I suspect it may be a metric thread, double sigh!

Again thanks for the help, Dick

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the info Bruce and Viv. Pictures are very helpful Bruce, I know they will keep me from making an error or three. Unfortunetly some PO drilled and re-threaded the top and middle holes in the frame side sections. 10/32 is too small and 1/4-20 is too big, sigh. I suspect it may be a metric thread, double sigh!

Again thanks for the help, D
Yes not 10/32 but 2B.Moss and TRF have them chrome.If the 4 little blocks inside the frame or the lower corner bracket holes are stripped the glass has to come out to replace them.Tom

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Actually, that would be 2BA threads, as in British Association. They are very close to 10/32. The major diameter is 0.185", but they have 31.4 tpi. The thread angle is also different...47.5 degs instead of 60 degs.

There are a number of 2BA and 4BA threads on the TR3. It might be worth it to buy a couple of each size taps.

Here's some info on the threads from British Fasteners. I bought my BA taps from them.

https://www.britishfasteners.com/threads/index.html

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Actually, that would be 2BA threads, as in British Association. They are very close to 10/32. The major diameter is 0.185", but they have 31.4 tpi. The thread angle is also different...47.5 degs instead of 60 degs.

There are a number of 2BA and 4BA threads on the TR3. It might be worth it to buy a couple of each size taps.

Here's some info on the threads from British Fasteners. I bought my BA taps from them.

https://www.britishfasteners.com/threads/index.html

OOps yes 2ba.When I was in the windshield a while back with similar questions you posted this link and I ordered the tap them.About 7 bucks plus a little postage ,came a couple days later.Tom

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Hi Bruce, the pictures are really great! I appreciate you taking the time to load them in and posting them. Looks like quite a few other members enjoyed them also. My son is here for a few weeks so I have his help to get the project (windshield) done. It's folks like you that helps make this forum great!
Thank you very much.
Dick