• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Triumph Alternator at National Parts Chain

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I took my TR250 alternator in to get it tested at a national chain parts store, it tested bad, but they said they could get a replacement, and further that it would be about $60 bucks for a rebuilt unit. I was actually pretty surprised, they had the TR250 in their parts database.

I am skeptical as to what I will actually get--the TR250 alternoator is unique from the TR6 and most alternators in that it has an external regulator. I also took it to the local old-timer electrical starter/alternator/generator shop and he recognized it as british right away, but then said never seen one like that, can't gt parts for it.

Any guesses as to what I might get if I order this thing?

Supplier is listed as "Worldwide" "36 Amp Alternator for TR250".

I am old enough to beleive that things that sound too good to be true usually are.

My preferance would be to keep the old one and fix it, I have taken it out and cleaned it up as best I can, one of the brushes is pretty well gone, so I am going to replace it and give it another try, but my primary question for the list is any guesses or knowledge as to what i get if I order the thing?

Secondary, and advice about bringing an alternator back to life apreciated.

Diagnosis by the machine was low output and a "leaky diode" or short.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
They've probably got some kind of no return policy on special order electrical stuff, so I can understand your skepticism. In fiddling with the alternators on my TR7 I've run the full gambit from loose wires to worn brushes and I had one pulley come adrift. If you order the $60 one you could luck out and get a Mitsuba unit that would bolt right in. The starters I've gotten from Checker were Mitsuba's and they have been superior to the Lucas. yeah, Duh

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Says it comes with a limited lifetime warranty, I had already thought of the return thing, I take in my old alternator, if the plug or brackets don't match don't see how they could not take it back.

G

My experience with alternators at one national chain with an irish hint to it's name was to purchase a "lifetime warranty" alternator for my 1990 Suburban... in 1999. Since then, it has been replace 8 times under their "warranty". I now use Car Quest Alternators and Starters for my business... and after 2 years have yet to replace one under warranty.... they are pricey, but my customers are happier!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I work for a fairly large electrical remanufacturer (about 3000 units a day), and have a fill rate of of about 99.9% of all the items listed in our catalog. We even list starters for TR3s. I suspect that if I went to the shelf to look for a TR250 alternator, it would fall into the 0.1% of the backorders. Then we would go look on the shelves for a core. Chances are, there wouldn't be one of those there either. In that case, we would then have to call the parts distributor and inform them that it has to be R&R'd (Rebuild and Return). You may luck out with Worldwide, since they are a very large remanufacturer, and they may just have it in stock. As far as the price, since there is no regulator in the unit, cost of remanufacture is really quite low, so I'm not surprised at the price.

As far as your local rebuilder saying he can't get parts for the unit...well, that's not true. Parts are available. This is a case of him not wanting to do it because he would have to order the parts that he doesn't have, and he remembers several years ago when he took a Lucas apart and doesn't want to go through that horror story again. They are a put together differently then your average domestic or Japanese unit.

I would order the alternator from the parts store and see what comes in. If it's not an exact match, you don't have to take it. In that case, find another local small rebuilder willing to do the Lucas unit.

There are other alternatives if you're not hung up on originality. If you go that route, then I would ditch the external regulator. That opens the door to many good units that will mount up and work well.

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
When looking for someone to rebuild you alternator, go find an Internatinal or Massey Ferguson tractor dealer and findout who they recommend for rebuilding Lucas equipment.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Your alternator should be a Lucas 15 AC which as you mention has an external regulator. This alternator is a very simple, easy to repair unit. The most common electrical failure is a bad diode in the 3-phase, bridge rectifier. This is very easy to repair/replace. So unless your alternator is either mechanically damaged or you have a completely burned out winding, this unit can be salvaged. I may even have an extra floating around. As an alternative, go with a later model Lucas unit which would have an on-board regulator. Finally, search this site for the GM retrofit that many TR-6 folks have done.

Good luck

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the info, they did mention a bad diode when testing it. It is a Lucas 15 AC

Tell me about how it is very easy to repair/repace the bridge rectifier? mechanically the thing seems fine.

I am also going to get new brushes for it, I did take it apart last night and clean it, mechanically at least it seems fine.

In defense of the shop I took it to, they do actually do work on old Lucas stuff and old tractors as well (I am in the midwest), he is rebuilding my starter motor and several of my LBC buddies swear by him, this particular unit just was one he didn't seem very familiar with.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I took the thing back to the shop after cleaning it up and putting the new brush in, I left the rear cover off on purpose so he could get a better look at it.

It is charging OK, but still has the Diode problem, with the cover off and after talking a bit he said--I have a rectifier that will fit in there and work.

He then asked if I wanted to buy the part or have him put it in, at $30 installed I took the full service option--so I should have a correct appearing and running alternator with some newer bits inside for not much scratch, works for me, but I am still curious about what I would have gotten from the chain store.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
glemon said:
I am still curious about what I would have gotten from the chain store.

Order it and see. If it's a match, you have a spare. If not, return it. :smile: