• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trafficators, sausage, Horhey Butch, and Mick jagger

bighly

Jedi Knight
Wow. I had a sausage sandwich for dinner last night. If you ever watch the Crosby show when ever Bill eats a sausage sandwich he has freaky
dreams. Well guess what? I had a whopper last night. I dreamt that I went to a Stones concert ticket less. I ran in to George Bush and his entourage
of secret service men and told George "I went to the Stones Some Girls concert on my birthday 20 years ago, today is the anniversary, my birthday and I don't have a ticket. Can you pull some strings?" He promptly had one of his people produce a ticket for front center, wow. I was elated and kept exclaiming " Hey mang Horhey Butch hooked me up dude!". I woke up in a sweat at about 3 am and really needed to clear my head.

Your probably wondering what this has to do with trafficators......... Well I put on my grundgies, went to the workshop and set about disassembling my trafficator taking pictures along the way. I figured heck, this is much better than dreaming George Bush and hold out hippies smoking cash crop listening to a 60 some year old Keith all the while thinking Keith Richard is gonna just die right there on stage.

Anyway, here are the pics. I hope this helps out some of you who aspire to be watchmakers and will use your trafficator to get your apprenticeship.
Mine was suffering from the failure to cancel in one direction.

Keep in mind that there are a dozen or so spring loaded little bits inside just waiting to be liberated. There is a great how-to by Steve Byers that should be referenced. Read this and cross check against the photos I uploaded.
https://hometown.aol.com/bgahc/01_jwha_trafficatorremoval.html

Note that I never remove all the screws for the electrical connection throughout my inspection. DO NOT REMOVE THE SCREWS UNDER THE HORN PUSH BUTTON FIRST!! Here's the photos link:

https://www.wavewired.net/~tracy/trafficator/trafficator.htm

Remind me not to eat a sausage sandwich late at night...........
cheers.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That looks an awful lot like an MG Magnette trafficator switch - thanks for the photos...I might tackle my extra one just for the fun of it
...ain't it greatr to have time on your hands!

Country flag
Nice job!

I suppose I should've taken pictures when I did mine a couple weeks ago. There are some differences in the non adjustable type (besides the obvious), mostly in the way it attaches to the stator tube.

I really have to make more of an effort to photo document the work on the Healey. It comes naturally when working on the BMWs.

BTW, "Horhey" is spelled Jorge
yesnod.gif

[ 04-02-2004: Message edited by: Randy Forbes ]</p>

Brian N.

Jedi Hopeful
Well, Tracy, I didn't have visions of my misspent youth, but your photos and story were better than finding WMD. They inspired me to tackle the same job today. I'm glad I did. All worked out well. The device on my car is a bit different in the housing (not so much of a dome), but the internals were pretty much alike.

Pretty tricky getting the little swinging legs right, and it took tweezers to get the little springs in.

But over all, the job is not too bad. Your good photos and a few hand drawings I created made for a great success.

Thanks much.

OP
bighly

bighly

Jedi Knight
Excellent Brian. Glad to hear this helped. Everyone here keeps providing me help so I
thought I could give just a little back. Now I am
considering a virtual gearbox rebuild. I will get the tranny out and begin the job taking photos along the way. I can ask the panel of more experienced ones to lend a hand by verifing what I am doing. I have never done a rebuild on a gearbox before but want to save the 1000 or so on labor by doing it myself.

Brian N.

Jedi Hopeful
In years past I have rebuilt two Spirte and two Triumph transmission. Good circlip remover tools are essential. Sometimes the mainshaft ball bearings are pretty tight in the case ends. This can become a wresting match.

Other than that, its all just a matter of following the book. Step by step. Verify twice before moving on. Careful understanding of what items are referenced is essential. And make sure nothing is done backwards.

There's a few tricks, like using axel grease to hold small pieces in place, and cutting a wood dowell to hold the lay shaft bearings.

If you are careful, it should be no problem. Haste and assumptions result in the expansion of retrograde vocabulary.

Let me know when you want to pull the thing out. I'll come over and give you a hand.

All the best.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
When completed I hope you keep us all up to date.
Photos would be super. I've always wanted to do one myself. Maybe you'll inspire others.
Thanks

OP
bighly

bighly

Jedi Knight
Brian,
Thanks for the offer but I felt bad about having you come over the hill from Santa Cruz yesterday
especially with the nice offshore breeze. It must have been great surf all day. I pulled the gearbox yesterday with the help of my two buddies.

Now to build up the courage to actually tackle the gearbox. Or do I just drop it off with a tranny guy? It is sitting in my shop now looking at me. I am being pretty indecisive about this one. I have gone back and forth three times on to do or not to this myself.

Brian N.

Jedi Hopeful
If you can rebuild the trafficator, the transmission should be no problem. Same sort of careful and correct assy procedures. Lots of little parts. But the level of care and skill is about the same.

When I opened mine up, the internals looked little different than other transmissions I have seen.

Besides, when you get this done, you will have a complete appreciation of how a transmission works. And you will never abuse one again!

One thing that helped with the Spitfire gear box, I built a bench top cradle to hold the case firm while working on it. A little wooden thing with a small metal piece that held a bolt in a threaded hole in the case somewhere. This keeps it from rolling around on the bench and being a 75 lb pain the tail.

OP
bighly

bighly

Jedi Knight
FordHealey Here you go

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Re: Trafficators, sausage, Horhey Butch, and Mick

Er, You seem to be missing something.....