• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trafficators, Adjustable vs. Non-Adjustable

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I swore I was not going to start on another healey project....but that did not work! I just bought a 59 bn6 semi-nasty boy! to the point...the trafficator is in my opinion beyond repair. looks as if it has been hit with a hammer. adjustable control heads are available at a reasonable price and I see a used assembly occasionally. question: can the adjustable control head be modified to work with the non adjustable steering wheel and one piece stator tube? thanks for advice or suggestion! and, yes moss has the later fixed assembly available for 1199 dollars.....

D

Duane_Rhynard

I swore I was not going to start on another healey project....but that did not work! I just bought a 59 bn6 semi-nasty boy! to the point...the trafficator is in my opinion beyond repair. looks as if it has been hit with a hammer. adjustable control heads are available at a reasonable price and I see a used assembly occasionally. question: can the adjustable control head be modified to work with the non adjustable steering wheel and one piece stator tube? thanks for advice or suggestion! and, yes moss has the later fixed assembly available for 1199 dollars.....

If you want to go the re-build / purchase route, two places you could try, I have personal experience with Curt (First link). He did both my adjustable 100-6 and 3000 trafficators, they came out excellent! I also have a couple hard to find non-adjustable original 100-6 horn pushbuttons that I'd be willing to part with if it would help you. (See pictures below.)

Thanks,
Duane

https://healey6.com/Technical/Austin Healey Trafficator Restoration Flyer.pdf

https://britishcarpartsbyleo.com/Page_2.html

buttons.jpg

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
duane, thank you for the offer, but I have those parts as well as the part the horn button and spring fit into. it is all the other stuff below the horn button that is broken up!

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I found a very nice 100-6 control head for my bn6 without wiring. so I spent most of yesterday taking the control head apart, attaching wiring. some lube on wearable parts???,and reassembly. not all that difficult but the very small parts are aggravating and holding everything together to place at least one of the long bolts in place was the most difficult. thanks for the replies.

Olvin

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi
Can an adjustable steering trafficator be modified to a non-adjustable one? I just want to use the steering part without the wiring.
Or where can I get a non-adjustable one, thanks. (1959 Austin Healey 3000)

Country flag
Looking at the parts catalog--aka the Moss catalog--I don't see a lot of commonality between non- and adjustable steering columns, and the wheels themselves are considerably different. I think it would be a monumental task but, on the upside, Moss offers a non-adjustable control head for the bargain basement price of $1,199 o_O Not much help, sorry.

I don't know what you mean by 'I just want to use the steering part without the wiring;' you don't want the horn and turn signals functions?

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
You can get an adjustable to fit, but it sticks up too high off the steering wheel. It also requires grinding the inside of the steering wheel. Not good if you ever want to go back to non-adjustable. I would call Kent Lambert for parts. 541.490.5674 (PACIFIC TIME)

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The control head's lower bakelite part and internal pieces are the same. The stator tube and the cancelling bits are different.

I should have gone back to bed this morning.

Last edited:

Olvin

Freshman Member
Country flag
I only need the trafficator , horn assembly. I don't need the tube and I don't need the wiring either

Olvin

Freshman Member
Country flag

at the parts catalog--aka the Moss catalog--I don't see a lot of commonality between non- and adjustable steering columns, and the wheels themselves are considerably different. I think it would be a monumental task but, on the upside, Moss offers a non-adjustable control head for the bargain basement price of $1,199 o_O Not much help, sorry.

I don't know what you mean by 'I just want to use the steering part without the wiring;' you don't want the horn and turn signals functions?

Olvin

Freshman Member
Country flag
If you want to go the re-build / purchase route, two places you could try, I have personal experience with Curt (First link). He did both my adjustable 100-6 and 3000 trafficators, they came out excellent! I also have a couple hard to find non-adjustable original 100-6 horn pushbuttons that I'd be willing to part with if it would help you. (See pictures below.)

Thanks,
Duane

https://healey6.com/Technical/Austin Healey Trafficator Restoration Flyer.pdf

https://britishcarpartsbyleo.com/Page_2.html

View attachment 50125
Hi Duane,
At least none of the two links open for me

Olvin

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi,
I'm having a hard time getting a non-adjustable trafficator assembly. The question is:
Is it possible to change the steering to an adjustable one?
I wait for your answers
Thanks

timd999

Freshman Member
Country flag
I believe it is possible to get an adjustable one and modify it to an non adjustable for the original steering wheel. I had a non adjustable Moto-Lita steering wheel with no trafficator (the owner before me removed it and put in a toggle switch for horn and indicating:mad:). I purchased a adjustable trafficator and with a lathe modified it to fit, it is about 1/4" closer to the driver which i can live with. Will try and post what mods i did if it helps you