• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 heat insulation recommendations

T

Tinster

tdskip said:
Where did you guys install extra heat insulation on your TR6 to help keep the interior comfortable?

<span style="color: #990000">I used aluminum faced insulation everywhere under carpet
plus I insulated the door interiors. It makes quite a bit of difference.

d </span>

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
I found the original "felt" pads and carpet worked just fine, and this in SoCal driving...

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I agree the original works well

G

I have seen guys glue in exotic foil-faced insulation (not cheap) and have always wondered how they can sleep at night, knowing that moisture is our biggest enemy and can/will creep in between this stuff and <span style="color: #FF6600">rust</span>! I, too, like the jute stuff, just happy when it finally quits "shedding."

G

Besides, aren't these cars <span style="text-decoration: underline">supposed</span> to get hot on the floorboards?

Safari

Country flag
TR6BILL said:
I have seen guys glue in exotic foil-faced insulation (not cheap) and have always wondered how they can sleep at night, knowing that moisture is our biggest enemy and can/will creep in between this stuff and <span style="color: #FF6600">rust</span>! I, too, like the jute stuff, just happy when it finally quits "shedding."

I wrapped the exhaust pipes with header tape, and installed fatmat which I guess is that exotic foil-faced insulation. BTW I sleep very well at night. :yesnod:
One fifty foot roll will do both pipes from the manifold connection to the cruciform. I used stainless steel tie wraps to hold in place and painted with heat restraint paint to keep that dreaded moisture away. Purchase off of ebay for the best price.

MichaelG

I put foil faced insulation on the underside of the transmission tunnel with 3M adhesive, and on the inside face of of the trunk panel by the gas tank. Under the carpets I used synthetic jute fabric (its like having fleece under the carpets)for the reasons others have mentioned...it will not trap moisture. Just as important IMHO, is to get a tight seal around the transmission tunnel seams, as significant heat comes in this way. I used a rubber strip kit from the big three then sealed the edges with the 3M body sealing putty strips as recommended in earlier threads. This has made a big difference

Cheers,

G

Whereyat, Safari. Nice to hear from you. Do you go to the Delgado show? Good to see another Louisianan on the forum.

T

Tinster

I attached the foil faced insulation with Velcro strips
to the floor so these is plenty of space for air to
circulation.

Insulating inside the doors made a world of difference
in lowering the road noise factor and heat.

d

Safari

Country flag
I am in Algiers. I did make the show but not with my car. I had just purchased the car and hadn't picked it up yet. I had to get a trailer as the PO had parked the car 7 years ago with a fuel leak. I have gotten the car running which took 45 min. and another 4 weeks to get the clutch changed. I have made a pass through the brakes, mounted Pirelli P4 tires and did get her inspected. I hope all my supension parts arrive tomorow so i can start on getting all the old rubber out and new bushing and springs in. I have the interior out as I want to get the all the mechanical things out of the way.

Pictures of on going work.

Back to the Delgado show, I did see a few old friends at the show and some new ones Poolboy being one. It was great to see all the cars if you were there I bet I have a picture of your car.

I hope to make the August final Friday in Covington with the wife, which is the reason for the heat shielding.

Yourself, poolboy, and myself will have to plan a drive together around the north shore.

Safari

tr6_easyrider

Jedi Hopeful
Word of Caution. I insulated the under side of the transmission cover with the foil faced insulation (foil facing out) and the first time I ingauged the overdrive it fried the wires. The foil came in contact with the switches on top of the transmission. I used the foil face insulation to cover all the floor and in the spare tire well. It does keep the heat down.
Joe