• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Missing Fasteners

rlandrum

Jedi Trainee
I finally took delivery of my TR3A. Even though the owner was only in Manassas, it took two weeks for him to get back from vacation.

Now it's finally in my basement (where it's warm AND dry).

So far, I know I need lots of fasteners... I need all the bolts that hold the engine to the tranny, as well as the generator and starter bolts, and I need the fasteners that hold the fenders (I think I've seen them referred to as "wings") to the front end, and the nose fasteners.

All were dumped into a big "bucket-o-bolts" by the PO, and there was no chance of digging through 200 lbs of bolts to find them.

If someone knows off the top of their head, what size and threadcount those are, I would be grateful for the information. If not the specifics, at least the generalities... Are the BSW or BSF?

PeterK

Yoda
Neither bsw or bsf(that was from a thread on Lucas fasteners); most fasteners on the TR are regular SAE, mostly fine threads.

Purchase the Stanparts Spare Parts Catalogue and decipher the fasteners using the Standard Hardware Catalog available on line. Both publications are a must.

ftp://ftp.team.net/triumphs/hardware/Standard_Triumph_Hardware_Catalog.doc

See also https://www.vtr.org/maintain/nuts-n-bolts.shtml

Nobody said this was going to be easy. There's an initial learning curve and required reference material to get and study. Check ebay for a CD with multiple manual in pdf format. Also Bentley Publisher to purchase docs. I think we already told you about Roger Williams books - check Amazon for the best price.

OP
rlandrum

rlandrum

Jedi Trainee
Excellent. Good to know they're SAE.

I actually just ordered one of each of the sizes 1/4-1/2, both nuts and bolts, BSW and BSF, just so that I can have a reference tool to match my SAE and Metric sets.

One can never have too many tools.

OP
rlandrum

rlandrum

Jedi Trainee
That's what I have for Metric and SAE. I googled, but didn't see one for BSF or BSW. But I didn't look very long.

The whole set (nuts and bolts) was only $13.50, plus shipping.

Mkutz

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The good news is that practically all fasteners on a TR3 are SAE and purchasable at ACE hardware. I'm doing a frame off in Maryland right now and know that usually all body panel bolts are 1/4" with a 28 (fine) thread pitch. Most of the bolt associated with the fenders are about 3/4" in length, but there are instances where they might be longer. I just checked my store of hardware that mated the engine to the trans and found them to be 5/16", but they differed between fine and coarse threads. I was going to throw them away anyway and buy all new grade 8 5/16" hardware. The generator mounting bolts are 5/16" too, I imagine about an inch long.

The Roadster Factory sells complete kits of hardware to mount the fenders, apron etc., anything you want, but probably costs a tad more if you just buy it yourself. Since your just getting into your car, it might be a good time to also buy an angle grinder (some of that hardware will be rusted solid and your need this to grind off bolt heads etc.), and also learn techniques about how to get rusty 50 year old hardware apart.

OP
rlandrum

rlandrum

Jedi Trainee
Angle Grinder: Check
PB Blaster: Check
Muriatic Acid: Check
Torch: Check
Bolt Extractors: Check
Patience: Check

The Acid is waaay overkill, but I've used it once on some impossibly rusted cast iron (200 years old, from what I'm told). Gotta love the stuff you can find at Tractor Supply Co.

1/4 and 5/16s... I'll pick up some fresh supplies from Fastenal.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
About the only place on the TR3 that you'll find coarse hardware is bolts screwed into the engine block. It seems that every other place on the car is fine threaded. Mostly 1/4"-28, 5/16"-24 and a few 3/8"-24.

Edit: One big advantage of getting the hardware kits from TRF etc. for the sheet metal, is that they come with all the washers, and special pieces, and they have that pointed end (as OE) that makes them SO EASY to to get started in those floating nuts, especially if you're using an air ratchet or something. I can get free hardware from work, but opted for those bolt packages.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Maybe it's been said before, but if there is a club in your area and you are not a member you might look into it. For some of the things you may get into it could be very useful to be able to look at an assembled TR3.

Ace is the place for many hardware items (they even have lift-the-dot fasteners) but some bolts have unthreaded shanks of a particular length that prevent the mounting holes from getting chewed up. The Ace item may or may not have this. In particular I am thinking of the generator mounting bolt but there are others.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Geo Hahn said:
but some bolts have unthreaded shanks of a particular length that prevent the mounting holes from getting chewed up.
Right. And the clue to when that happens is that the part number will be a 5 or 6 digit number, instead of the 'standard hardware' pattern of 2 letters followed by 3 or 4 numbers.

In general, Ace or other hardware stores will not have the specials, although sometimes you can get a long shank by cutting down a longer bolt. But note that it's not always just extra shank that is special; sometimes the shank is a special diameter or the bolt is threaded all the way, hardened, etc.