• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tr3 frame work finally

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Your wrinkle finish came out good, I think the general thinking is to paint the back white because every bit helps when trying to find something after it's all together and you have a problem.

Graham

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Correction it's the back of the dash painted white, I just looked at my resto photos and i painted my instrument panel black like yours.

Graham
P1010182.jpg

Last edited:

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The spring in my new ones were way too strong. Almost impossible to open the door. I popped it apart and shortened the spring a bit then crimped it back together.

David

They look great JP. I have heard rumors the new ones have problems. Plus it is a difficult part to clean because they are crimped together. I use old ones also when I can!

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well as life teaches sometimes things never go as planned. I gave the console 24 hours to cure and it never did. It might be because that can of paint was really old, so I will be stripping it for try number 2. I don't mention vendors but it was Eastwood product, has anyone else used this style wrinkle paint. I am thinking to go with a different brand in the hopes of not recreating this scenario.

I hate redoing things but i want it to function properly. Thanks again for all the encouragement and advise/shared information along your journey.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I think I waited until the wife was out of the house and cooked mine for a couple hours. I did it to "enhance" the wrinkles...but you could try it to force the paint to cure as a last effort before re-stripping?!? It does stink up the house.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I got my paint from the local auto parts store. I redid mine also. What I do is put in the oven on like 150 or 200 after it sits outside for like 10 to 15 minutes. I put it on one of those cheap throw away sheet pans; the process takes just a few minutes in the oven and you can watch it wrinkle. The gauges are so tight going in the holes that too much paint build up will not let the gauge go in easily. I did put 3 coats on of the wrinkle paint on but had to sand out a couple of edges on the gauge holes.
steve

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So I reached out to the Vendor in an effort to not recreate my issue. They were not helpful because I could not provide the exact order number. It was a gift....I did explain that so and the vendor has thrown up there hands in a kind of who cares attitude. So in response I will choose to spend my money with a different paint supplier!! I am sure I can find the same kind of product soon

Customer service really has become very negative and time consuming...
See below....both items were purchased from them and I quote”
Good afternoon,I would have to be able to locate the original purchase to do anything to be honest. Based on what you described either the primer or paint would have had to have been bad -most likely the paint itself.
We apologize for the confusion.
Kelly H.”

Well as life teaches sometimes things never go as planned. I gave the console 24 hours to cure and it never did. It might be because that can of paint was really old, so I will be stripping it for try number 2. I don't mention vendors but it was Eastwood product, has anyone else used this style wrinkle paint. I am thinking to go with a different brand in the hopes of not recreating this scenario.

I hate redoing things but i want it to function properly. Thanks again for all the encouragement and advise/shared information along your journey.

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Take two.....well and three.... take two created a huge run so I wiped it clean with prep sol let it dry and recoated with paint again.... now to let it cure at least 48 hours due to humidity.... fingers crossed
50B677C1-A136-4481-B10B-15B8BB93519F.jpeg

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well the other one looked good also until I tried to handle it. Sometimes you have to go back to move forward.../ thanks for the words of encouragement

Yes that looks like the real deal, well done

Graham

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I decided to try something different because time and money are always a factor. I read Dave's (HawaiiCJ) post on a simple way to separate the hub and axle. Imagine my surprise when i look up where he is and realize that he is 25 minutes away from me. So after a quick PM Dave not only said I could borrow his tool but he was running some errands and could drop it off. OK that is a deal. Thought i was all prepared.....hit the parts backorder for a delay and then was ready to get started. That is until I tried to thread the nut/socket combo onto my axle.
LRN7cjZ.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

then this happened
ZGdOqK9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I will now be spending a few evenings trying to clean out the threads in order to get the tool to bite properly so i can have as much threaded force needed to get this a part.
Well that is about it lately and I had to repair my lawnmower.....I don't really want to spend a bunch of time in the garage cuz it is hot as ****...unless i am grabbing something from the fridge.

Summer Fun.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Glad you’re getting some work done. That special tool sounds like the way to go. I plan to make one next time the hubs have to come off.

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So it was a LOT of hand filing but I want to say I won....
here is the after pictures B58ADD99-D999-4ABF-BEBA-6FE957BFDEDC.jpeg

3BC4DC54-26CA-4856-9B6E-80F1DF9BCE4D.jpeg

The tool is installed and tightened down I measured both sides. The distance was .61 not the non hammered side and .68
on the repaired the side so
E4C699B0-9864-40B0-9AFC-DEB9C80703DD.jpeg

I think that will work.

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well it has been a little slow lately but thinking about things i needed and something came up. KEYS Since i am the key guy and armed with information I called my parts distributor and got the correct key blanks on the way. I just ordered the after market ones because they are cheaper.
At work I have access to the information that make numbers and letters turn in to a proper key.
Success on the first try.
aNGVSvom.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And for the second car

x8i1gbPm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And since i had time left over i organized my socket drawer, it was way overdue.....good old harbor freight with magnetic socket rails.

8ol2oiHm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

JP