• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Think something is screwed up

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When the engine is running I get oil running out the tranny weep hole in the bottom. Lots of oil.

Going to have to let it run a bit and see if the engine oil goes down but expect it is from the scroll seal. Don't know how or why yet but.

Lots of oil like it is just running out under pressure it seems. Does not leak when engine is off. I know the scroll end plate is in there and safety wired and I know the rear bearing is in there, can't think what it might be. HELP!

Oh yea, need to make a longer slave clutch push rod, the 1275 on is not even long enough for the throwout bearing that cam with the set. Was quite a bit thiner maybe something over a 1/4 of an inch. But it works, release is just at the floor. Second gear seems smooth now, guess I did fix that prob.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Jack, it sounds like you may be generating a bit of crank case pressure some how, so give a good look at the crank case venting and any other engine breathers available.--Fwiw--Keoke

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Crank case vent is a pipe on top of the valve cover and a pipe from the tappet chest cover. They are big and clean.

I been thinking all day and just do not know.

Anyones idea is as good as mine at this point.

It's kinda like the engine is running backwards and the scroll is pumping oil out, but of course that can not be.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Been thinking again. Sigh, so hard.

Think maybe what's screwed up is that the rings have not seated and I have a lot of blow by. Will check in the morning.

In fact so much blow by that the valve cover vent and the tappet chest vent will not handle it. Will check them for pressure as well as removeing the oil filler cap to see if that helps.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Jack, you should have plenty of vacuum coming from the breather or intake manifold to keep the crankcase under negative pressure. Check and make sure you have vacuum on that hose that goes to the valve cover while running . If not then this is the problem.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
On a 948 both the valve cover vent and the tappet vent just go outside to the world.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When the air cleaners are on the valve cover vent is connected to one of them but that is all.

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jack

How much oil pressure did you have?

Mark

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Jack
Put your finger on the outlet of the roadpipe and see if there is a lot of air coming out there, there would need to be a jetstream coming fast enough to lift the car to get the kind of leakage that you are describing. Unfortunately I suspect the oilpump.
Bill

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
60 cold at start. 20 at idle warm.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oil pump has a gasket, then a sealed can over it?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack - sounds as if everybody else is on track with the oil...but, back when you first had your clutch problem, didn't you change the pushrod to one of a different length...where's your original?

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have the orginal but it is a 948 one which is shorter, the 1297 is about a 1/4 inch longer and it just engages at the full extension of the pedel. Mine needs to be longer still but no prob I can have a bit welded on.

The new throwout bearing is a bit thinner than the orginal I noted so really expected this.

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Oil pump has a gasket, then a sealed can over it?

That's correct Jack the can part is mounted on the engine back plate.

Are you missing the can part?

Mark

bugimike

Yoda
Jack with the TO problem you are having, besides the difference in length of push-rods, there are two or three different forks available for the TO bearing! Before going even longer with a push-rod, I would check out a fork that would move the bearing up closer to the press. plate!! Also check that the fork you have is installed correctly and not backwards!!

Attachments

• 8507.jpg
    8507.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 8508.jpg
    8508.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 8509.jpg
    8509.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 29
OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oil pump can cover is secured with sodder to the backing plate.

Mike I have not changed the fork or such from the orginal instalation. As I said I do know that the new throw out bearing is thinner than the orginal so would need more pedal.

bugimike

Yoda
Jack in the pics above, 1st pic is correct, 2nd lever is backward and in third pic 1275 (ribbed case) fork on left and 948 (smooth case) fork on right! Hope it helps!! Of course you have made no changes so I guess that is all moot!

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Something I will indeed check with the pullout this week. Thanks.

Hump in the lever goes away from the engine.