• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB The 1977 MGB "Survivor"

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The 1977 MGB "Survivor"

For background, here's the original thread about the car: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/376808/fpart/1

So, today after physical therapy on my shoulder, I stopped by the bodyshop & spoke with my body guy. I described the car as best I could; here's his answer:

"That's a survivor. We don't want to repaint it if you're willing to live with any small dings its gotten over the years." he started off with. "They'll add character if nothing else has to be changed."

"I want you to pressure wash the entire car. Use engine cleaner in the engine compartment. Clean underneath, the suspension and undercarriage. Scrub the body and wheel wells. Get it as clean as possible and then bring it directly to me. When you come, bring the factory paint code & whether its urethane or acrylic, I'm thinking urethane but it might've been one of the first acrylics. No problem either way, I just need to know."

"We'll clean the entire body to get rid of all the old wax and any buildups of polish until we've got just the body like when it came out of paint at the factory. We're not even going to disturb any of the chrome or bumpers or anything."

"Then, we'll open that dogleg and vacuum out all the mud and dirt. Next, we'll treat the inside with naval jelly to stop any rust action and repair whatever needs repairing inside though I'm betting there's nothing based on your description. Finally, we'll put a good epoxy primer inside and close the dogleg back up and blend the paint in so you'll never know it was touched."
{Sorta sounded like my doctor last week when he was talking about my shoulder!}

"After we're happy with the repair, I'll call my polisher and have him come over to buff and polish the entire body. I think you'll be happy that way."

Od course, I added, "Well, the old tires have been on there forever. Maybe while you've got it here, we can sandblast the wire wheels and paint them. It needs tubes and tires just because of age if nothing else." {Hey! You've always gotta have 'might as wells"!}

To which he retorted, "Well, let's concentrate on making the body look new. I know you. When you get it home you're gonna jack it up to redo everything underneath. Bring me the wires then and I'll do them while you're playing with it."

And as far as time, "Oh, plan on leaving it here at least a week. You know me, I might get pointed in another direction while its here. Come'ere, lemme show you something. Have you seen the big old 1940's 4-door Chrysler we're starting disassembly on?"

HALLLUJIAH!! I really didn't want to repaint an entire car just for the few bubbles in that dogleg! And I can live with any small parking lot dings we might find once the body's clean though I don't remember seeing anything that jumped out at me.

As I've always said: correct body issues before tackling anything else. And while its inside his shop I can do a serious survey of its overall condition. I know all the interior needs is a good cleaning. And I hope everything else is just: https://www.theautoist.com/CHECKLIST.HTM

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
Re: The 1977 MGB "Survivor"

Tony makes me wish my kid would graduate so I can buy a new B

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Soon, chuck, soon....

Paint code's BLVC 167 which is Chartreuse though it sure looks Primrose! I think we just call all the yellow cars Primrose...but in 1970 when BLC switched all the BMC paint codes to new BLVC codes they, also changed some of the names.

Interesting, first part of the VIN says its a 1978 car (GHN5U<u>H</u>) though the car number (441338) and all the paperwork from day one says its a 1977!

Here are the unique things with the VIN using Clausinger as the expert: The 'H' stands for '1978'; were it a true 1977, that letter would've been 'G'. The car number (441338) is 5,698 cars before the first MGB roadster identified for the 1978 model year (447036). I've gotta check the engine number tomorrow!

Part of the problem is that only North American cars had that final letter designating the model year in the VIN. So, either its a 1978 & Clausinger is wrong about the model year car number break point - along with the delivering MGB dealer - or, its a 1977 & the factory assigned an incorrect VIN!

The original owner took delivery on 13 October 1977 which means its either one of the last cars built for the 1977 model year (built in July 1977) or the first built for 1978.

Did the factory assign the 1978 VIN designator correctly or incorrectly?

Does Clausinger have the model year break point wrong?

And what paperwork from the factory did the UK MG dealer have to designate the car a 1977?

Interesting! We do know it was built to NA specs but pulled from overseas shipment and delivered to an MG dealer in the UK, French & Foxwell, where the PO picked it up.

Becoming more interesting every day! Do I retitle it as a 1978 or leave it as a 1977?

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Before pic Man! We need before pics!

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Iknow, I know...if the sun's out tomorrow I'll pull the trailer out of the building & take it to the car wash & make photos.

Time for a BMHT certificate.

Tony, "H" is a 1977 VIN..."J" is 1978....there was no "I".

"A" = 1970
"B" = 1971
"C" = 1972
"D" = 1973
"E" = 1974
"F" = 1975
"G" = 1976
"H" = 1977
"J" = 1978

I ***believe*** that MG changed to a more univeral VIN in 1979 and 1980.

HTH....

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

I wish they did not cost what they do. I'd love to have the 67's history and the 74 I got came with very much the same paperwork your's did. Car was purchased a files mile from where the PO lived and it's been in NY ever since.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

ACK!!! STUPID!!! STUPID!!! STUPID!!! Rick - you're correct!! I read the ';' in the wrong place on page 119 of Clausinger's...yep, 'H' is a 1977....so, the car is a solid 1977 car - one of the last built for that model year....everything in my earlier post is just me being delusional!! We'll blame it on the Loratab I'm taking for my shoulder...hehehehe

I ordered a BMHT certificate anyway....sorta expensive what with the dollar like it is right now...but, it'll verify all the paperwork I have on the car.

I just don't know what I'm gonna do with the car when I've got it back on the road - I don't NEED it! But, I do WANT it!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

drive it to the post office with a trailer.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior

here comes the next garage addition

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

hehehehe...well, I was standing out back this afternoon...

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

I need more land. I just don't have enough space to be able to buy as many as I can. RATS!.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior

Tony you are gonna have to build Miss Jerri another addition too

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Probably...you remember the screened-in dining & sleeping porches on either side of the house? Tomorrow the tile setters start laying 1' square tiles on them before they install new screens! Part of her house repaint/makeover.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Don't I know it!!!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Yea but when the garage looks better than the house you in trouble boy. LOL

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

<u>UPDATE:</u>

Got the BMIHT certificate yesterday while I was in B'ham with my 18-month old grandson who has bronchitis...here's what it (the certificate) says:

1. Make & Model: MGB ROADSTER
2. Car/Chassis Number: G-HN5-UH/441338-G
3. Engine Number: 18V-884-AE-L/3633
4. Body Number: Not Recorded
5. Specification: LHD, North American Export
6. Color:
a) exterior: Chartreuse
b) trim: Black
c) hood (top): Not Recorded
7. Date of Build: 11-12 July 1977
8. Date of Despatch: 15 September 1977
9. Destination (Dealer): Personal Export to the USA
10. Other Numbers (where recorded): Key Numbers; FS.949, FT,121, 2790
11. Details of Factory Fitted Equipment: Wire wheels, Overdrive, Hardtop

.......& everything matches the car I have on a trailer in one of my buildings!!

{Oh, the grandson says, "Cough, cough, T - car book!" Meaning he wants me to read him his book about cars...he calls me "T" like all his older cousins.}

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Sounds like you found a real winer Tony.

Is it a keeper or are you going to turn it?

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Is it a keeper or are you going to turn it? [/QUOTE]
Don't know yet, Jack....gotta get it roadworthy after its long nap & clean it up & fix the small body problems...I've already got more than a few $$$'s in it & everything I want to do to it may make it a keeper just because of what I'll have in it when its finished.

That or sale it just like it is - & there's no fun in that!