• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Supercharger wont start

ETC_Ed

Freshman Member
I just installed a Moss Supercharger. I replaced the radiator, installed a new Falcon SS Big Bore Exhaust, and tried to start her up....NO GO.

The spark plugs were replaced, and tested the spark from the center wire on the dizzy to the block---got spark.

Thought it might be gas, but the filter is half full. at first it was not, and disconnected the inlet line, and got sprayed, as if it had built up pressure.

I did replace the timing chain from single to double row, and have heard this changes timing.

Is this why it won't start?

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
could be. when you put in the chain did you line up the matkers so it would not be a tooth off?

Steve_S

Yoda
Are you sure fuel is getting to the combustion chamber? Disable the spark, crank the engine and see if you can see ot smell fuel on the plugs. If ther is fuel and there is spark, then the engine will run. In that case I'd say the timing is way off.

OP
E

ETC_Ed

Freshman Member
I removed the old chain, and installed the new chain in quick succession. The crank and cam sprockets never moved, as far as I could see. I lined up the dots on the sprockets, and slipped them on. They went right on, with no side to side movement required. I am hoping that was sufficient to ensure that the shafts are aligned, still.

I will try the gas smell test next.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
if you are sure the dots were lined up, have somebody crank the car while you turn the dizzy slowly til it starts. then use a timing light to set it correctly. if it doesnt start you may have to recheck the chain install. I'd bet on it being one tooth off, been there before

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh my word, been there done that as well.

I bet I check 15 times anymore. Use a steel straight edge and then don't beleive it.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
I'd try a dizzy adjustment to verify the static timing before pulling the timing gears back out.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As I remember it would run with one tooth off just would not run much. Dizzy had to be really different adjustment though.

Well maybe it did not run but tried. Been so long I have forgotten for sure.

OP
E

ETC_Ed

Freshman Member
Well, I can get it to start. I was up late last night trying everything. The choke MUST be in, or is dies immediately. I have to give it plenty of gas, and keep the gas pressed to get it to run. And it only gets up to about 1300-1500 RPM's, and that is about it. Then it dies after running for a little bit. If I have to remove the chain, to restore, all I have to do is verify that the dots are lined up? Or is there a way to make sure the cam and crank safts are aligned before installing the chain.

PLease don't lelt it be the chain....

Steve_S

Yoda
"The choke MUST be in"

Do you mean to say that if you pull the choke, it won't start or run? That may indicate your carb is set way too rich.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
wouldnt that be way too lean, because hes cutting off air and adding a bunch of fuel? if so you may have a large vacum leak

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
There seems to be some confusion on which way the choke has to be set to get the engine to run. Is it you have to use the choke to get it to run, or is it you have to use NO choke to get it to run. Please clarify, as it will help with diagnosis.

If you have to choke the engine to get it to run, then I would be looking for a major vacuum leak as suggested above. If you have to keep the choke OFF, then this might indicate a problem with the carb. Float level too high or something. Pull the plugs, as they will indicate if too rich or too lean.

Steve_S

Yoda
I was assuming he meant choke off to get it to run at all. This could mean it's too rich, and when you add choke which richens the mixture even more, the car can't burn the fuel.

Steve_S

Yoda
I would guess that pressing the gas simply keeps the RPMs up, which keeps the engine from dying as easily. But everything is just a guess at this point.