• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Judson Supercharger

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It's a cool period accessory and people will pay for them. There should be a glass bottle that holds an oil supply (Marvel Mystery Oil) for lubrication. By now, they generally need a rebuild. A fellow by the name of George Folchi in CT used to specialize in rebuilding them, don't know if he's still doing it. I've never been convinced that they live up to the performance they promised.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It's not always a glass bottle; sometimes they have a metal tank (that's what I have). They do have value, but they are also expensive to rebuild, so probably not worth a great deal in as-is condition. They must be installed on a low compression engine or you will have major heat issues, and not really suitable to fit to a 1275 without a lot of modification. They don't perform well with the stock carb, and many people make custom manifolds (myself included) to accept a 1-3/4" SU or something similar. The stock Holley carb pools a lot of fuel in the manifold when idling, and you'll leave a big black cloud behind you at takeoff.

I believe George still rebuilds them, but I have not communicated with him for several years now. You can check and see if his contact info is still valid:

For Judson supercharger rebuilding and custom parts, please contact: GEORGE B. FOLCHI - 58 Merryall Road-New Milford-CT 06776- (860) 355-2807

Marvel Oiler-Judson.jpg

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I had one on a 190SL many years ago. It was noisy and maintaining the oil drip was a pain but I don't remember any smoking problems though. It did improve the performance significantly. Best I recall, it would put about 8-10 psi into the manifold. I would not do it again as I think it cost me a set of bearings.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm quite certain a 190SL did not use the same intake manifold or carburetor. It was the design of the manifold for the Holley carb that was the problem. Look at the original manifold for the Holley carb used for the A-series (removed in picture), and you will see the flat "pan" under the supercharger itself, where fuel can pool.

Screen Shot Judson Manifold.png

https://www.190slgroup.com/tech/judson/judson p1.htm

I had one on a 190SL many years ago. It was noisy and maintaining the oil drip was a pain but I don't remember any smoking problems though. It did improve the performance significantly. Best I recall, it would put about 8-10 psi into the manifold. I would not do it again as I think it cost me a set of bearings.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yep this were made for the 948
understand that anything but stock compression or far from a stock cam over heating became an issue.
if all is there less the oiler I may be interested

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Gerard, the 190SL kit of course had a different intake manifold. Oh I see now you probably meant the intake between the carb and Judson. Too long ago so I don't remember that (it was 50 years ago) but it did have a Holley carb so might have been the same or similar setup.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ah sorry I see the hose and feeder head,on my phone the jar is invisible