• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spax or Koni?

D

DougF

It seems that a lot of people go with the Spax because they are adjustable while in position. With the Koni's from what I understand, you must disassemble the front suspension to adjust them.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
yes,that is what i heard also. i also heard that the quality of the spax is not as good as the koni. revington sells (recommends) avo shocks.easily adjustable and they state the build quality is better than spax but i have also heard bad things as well.if you are a "fiddle" person you may want the spax, and if you hate pulling shocks this makes sense. if you are a set it once, dont mind pulling the shocks to get it set and then don't ever want to replace shocks again, the koni's will probably last longer.
i'm going to gamble with the avo's and buy them direct from avo.british shocks in british car.
rob
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
I've never used Spax, but 12 years (50k miles) ago I put Koni's in the front. The "stock" grade shocks were 3 years old and easily worked by hand. The Koni's at mid adjustment were really tough to move. They got stiffened up a bit more 2 years ago with further suspension tuning/tinkering... I doubt they'll ever need replacing.

Brent

philman

Jedi Knight
for some reason I ended up putting konis in the front and spax in the rear of my fhc???

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I am using Carrera shocks on the front of my 63 TR4. I bought them from TSI several years ago. They are valved 50-50. They seem to work ok.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I currently have Spax front and back, very happy.
I have used KYB on the back, non adjustable, but they did not provide enough damping with my stiffer suspension.
I expect they would be fine with stock springs. Simon.