• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Solex carburettors

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8987

Okay.
I've been fighting a mid-range "nibble" or flat spot on my 2.4l MK2 for some time.

I obtained the correct carbs, rebuilt them, discovered an issue with gasket blowout at the air bleed port for the chokes, causing minumum idle to be 700-750.
Fixed that (lapped the surfaces, cut new gaskets, used #1 Permatex thin-filmed on the edge that could create a repeat) and found my dead spot was now HUGE.I could only drive it with choke on.

I played with the float level (swapped shim gaskets out), air bleeds, no joy.

The main jets are clean, and are the Solex 110's as specified.

I finally gave up 30 minutes ago, and pulled the main jets and holders out of the old MB carbs (130 for one, 137.5 the other), put them in, perfect.
As in flat spot gone.

Now, I won't know for a bit if it's way too rich (I'll check the plugs), but anybody know where I could locate a pair of 120's or a single 130?

I am fairly certain the 137.5 is far too rich.

Thanks!

richardjbondy

Freshman Member
Webcon in the UK has an extremely large stock of Solex parts, maybe the largest in the world. Start at their web site www.webcon.co.uk. I've spent lots of money with them and they are knowlegeable and helpful. No issues with this supplier.

Rick

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I went and looked, the Solex tab gives a 404 not found.
I registered, and posted.
We'll see!
Thanks!

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Except, they only do Sutter's Unions, Stromberg and Zenith.
I have Solex!

OP
R

RonMacPherson

Try your friendly old air cooled VW and Porsche repair shops and parts houses. Maybe a VW magazine from the drug store might help with their ads.

There used to be several Carb stores in California that carried(actually specialized in) VW fuel systems.

The jets for most of the Solex are the same, like most of the fuel jets for the Webers are the same...

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I found one outlet so far that has some parts.
Didn't want to part with them, as they restore VW carbs.
Then he asked what sizes, I told him, they don't use that size on old VW's, but he had plenty, so, en-route!

I have not yet figured out why I need bigger jets.

But, it IS a different cat with the ones in it now.

Power, speed, pulls hills in 3rd or 4th, where it took second before.

Idles down, no flat spots, no backfiring.

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
Try the Old Carb Doctor (828)659-1428

I used him, very pleased. Don't be in a rush, though. Nice guy.

Colin