• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Slight tweak to Martx-5's dogleg covering method

71TR6

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I just finished covering my TR3 doglegs with leather and have a slight tweak to Art's method that he illustrated in his post TR2/3/3A Carpet and upholstery installation (britishcarforum.com) .

I used a method in Cechaflo's Youtube video Cechaflo - YouTube where he applied a mixture of baby shampoo, rubbing alcohol and water to the leather to soften it and stretch it. He then stretched it and nailed the leather to a wooden form holding the part he was covering and let it dry. He then peeled the leather off the form and glued it down. I did this with the doglegs and it turned out great. I attached the covering with Weldwood Landau Top adhesive (by far the best stuff I've found for vinyl and leather car interiors). I got an empty 1 qt can from Lowes and found a local auto upholster filled it for me for $20.

Using this method eliminates the hassles of trying to stretch and glue at the same time. One word of caution- DO NOT tape as I did- it does leave a slight indent. I didn't need to do this but did anyway as a belt and suspenders step and regret doing it. I'm hoping with a little time and maybe some steam the slight indent where the tape was will come out.

Doing it this way seemed to make it go easy and wasn't anywhere near the challenge I'd been led to believe it would be. By far the most difficult pieces to cover on the whole interior were the door caps with those button ends- I couldn't find a decent method to do these so experimented and they turned out OK but not perfect.

I hope this helps someone in the future!

Ron

Dogleg1.jpg
Dogleg2.jpg
Dogleg3.jpg
Dogleg4.jpg
Dogleg5.jpg
Dogleg6.jpg

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Ron, That is a great method. I will catalogue that for when I get to working on the interior. Thank you for sharing and including pictures. Frank

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Great work! Having done mine in vinyl some years ago, I can attest it's not a fun job. And leather's supposedly more difficult to get right. Congrats!

Mickey

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Nice work.

It looks like the leather may be more stretchy when you treat it right. Would the vinyl stretch that much?

David

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Terrific method. Pre-stretching takes a lot of the hassle out of doing it all at once. Nice job, turned out great.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Nice work.

...Would the vinyl stretch that much?

Vinyl is very stretchy (even more than leather) if you remove the cloth backing.

On a recent non-TR (but British) project I needed to recover the shift housing with a single piece of vinyl. By separating the cloth backing and stapling it to a board with the hole shaped to fit I was able to stretch it in the extreme:

EpmOnIb.jpg

PuZQXKG.jpg

zOQfPW6.jpg

V1D7Qw6.jpg

Some vinyl backing needs a dose of acetone to come loose but I have found a variety that separates w/o chemicals - which is good as the acetone weakens the vinyl.

OP
71TR6

71TR6

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Geo- that's a great tip to catalog as well! I never thought to remove the vinyl fabric backing but that would dramatically make it more heat moldable. It can be pre-molded, removed from the form and glued into place in a similar manner to leather. Thanks for sharing that tip!