• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Scotch guard for cloth wire harness?

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So, I'm installing the nice new cloth covered wiring harness under my BJ7 and realizing that it's going to get dirty! Does anyone use something like Scotch guard to protect the cloth?

I'm spraying the clips and screws with clear lacquer unless someone has a better suggestion.

I have the feeling that I'm going to get my chops busted on this one. I'm asking anyway.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The only thing about scotch guard is it will repel water both ways... it may keep water in the harness. Face it, your harness will get dirty. You can always take it out in 20 years and rebraid it.

Country flag
Scotchguard makes an aerosol automotive upholstery protectant, and I had very good results using it on a new set of high quality MGBGT carpet. I'm sure you'd have good results on the cloth braided harness cover. I'd say use it, and if it gets dirty, just rinse it off with a garden hose (no detergent).

Healeynut: even though the outer braid is cloth, the individual conductors are usually still insulated with a PVC coating. I wouldn't worry about a little water; ever seen an engine compartment when driving in the rain?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
RestoreThemAll said:
Does anyone use something like Scotch guard to protect the cloth?

I have the feeling that I'm going to get my chops busted on this one. I'm asking anyway.

I, like so many of us here use the Healey tried and true, comes as standard equipment, under car, entire under car coating system, aka...drum roll....oil.

My British mechanic says, sure you've got Lucas electrics and it keeps me in business. But your frame will last forever. Why, because it doesn't rust. It's covered in oil. And right he is. Soon enough, your cloth wire harness will be protected from the elements with 20-50w.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
The engine/tranny didn't leak, Roger put it there. Extra virgin, first cold pressed. Applied with a basting brush.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Man is this a cool place to hang out.
1. TH gives the best compliments, thank you my brother.
2. Greg so has me figured out. How does he know this stuff.

Seriously though, RestoreThemAll,
I wouldn't worry to much about the cloth coating. That is unless you plan on selling your car on Barrett-Jackson. They've got the chassis cam you know.

Each wire has it's own protective sleeve and is simply held all together by the cloth wiring harness. Sure it will get dirty and wet and covered in dirt and sand and salt and covered in oil, and, and and...OMG is that what is happing to my harness. What am I doing sitting here typing when I should be under my car cleaning.

I'm not aware of anything you can "coat" the fabric with to keep it new looking and stand the test of time and conditions ahead. Maybe others will chime in with an idea. Good luck with your restoration!

Cheers,
Roger

Country flag
You could cover it with the plastic wrap stuff they use to bundle computer wires. Paint the yellow strands and all. (That was a joke for you absessives) Drive it and enjoy it and let the next owner worry about it in 25 years.

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Not that I have any experience at this mind you, but if you are truly concerned about a dirty wiring harness you can use simple green on it next time you are under the car. Spray on, lightly scrub, wipe off.
If you want to totally protect it from the elements, don't drive the car :>)

Randy

OP
R

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks guys. The input is always great here. I think that I'll use a combination of your ideas. Scotchguard just to make me feel better, simple green during the winter storage/maintenance months, and Fabrez cause it's gotta smell nice. Yes I do plan to drive it. I'd like to show it once or twice first though. BTW: the next owner is my son who is really obsesive with his daily driver cars. I don't dare tell him that it's going to get oil on it.

I've followed other threads about leaks. I'll do my best but from what the experts say (you guys) Healey's leak.