• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sandblasting-What a mess!!!!

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
Just got finished sandblasting the passenger side floorboard of my B. Sand everywhere! Just a rant.
Rick

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
And there will even more sand after you cleaned everywhere. It almost does not end.

Bruce

Radford

Jedi Knight
Well, it's the weekend, breakout the Jimmy Buffet music, a few Hawaiian shirts, some cold beer and make the best of it.

Hope you put down some plastic first.

Rad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
I hope you have a very good dust mask. Sandblasting with real sand (or any form of silica particulates) creates seriously hazardous dust.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif Don't trash your lungs with abrasive dust! (If you absolutely must trash them with something, burning nitro-methane or a good cigar are more entertaining.)

PC.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
H

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
Great advice Radford. I've got lots of Buffet and beer but a little short on the shirts. FYI, I've got a rare Buffet album(Havana Daydreaming) with the song Take Your Drunkin 15 Year Old Girlfriend Home where the song Defying Gravity is supposed to be.
Also, PC, thanks for the dust mask advice. I didn't have a good one but a friend is bringing me one tomorrow. I was so anxious to try it out that I put duct tape over all the air holes in my hockey helmet and went to work. My cold weather motocross gloves worked well also.
Cheers
Rick

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
AHH - YES
The finest smell in the world. Burning nitro mixed with castor oil!!!
D

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was a laxative---Keoke ??

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Have you ever heard of Soda Blasting? I just had my MG completely blasted down to bare metal using of all things Baking Soda. I found a guy out here in CA that does this type of blasting all the time. It's clean, non-toxic and when the blasting is done it's all washed away. No grit. No mess.

Radford

Jedi Knight
Rick - Gee don't believe I've evere heard thst Buffet song, any other place to get it? Have a great weekend.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
I put duct tape over all the air holes in my hockey helmet and went to work. My cold weather motocross gloves worked well also.
Cheers
Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh.....
A wannabee Canadian if ever I met one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

OP
H

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
Hey Radford,
ABC only kicked out a few of the albums. I did copy the album onto CD. Give me a shout if you want a copy.
Also, Hey AltaKnight, How's it goin eh? I moved from Wisconsin to Florida.
Cheers
Rick

dklawson

Yoda
The blaster I use is an inexpensive "blast out of a bucket" one. I use an 8 foot section of corrugated thin-wall hose connected to a snorkle mounthpiece to breath through. I put the intake/discharge end of that breathing hose well away from where I'm working so I only get fresh air. I use an inexpensive blast hood from Harbor-Freight. Lastly, I do all my work out on the driveway so I can sweep up and re-use the media. Never skip the protective gear when sandblasting.

Soda blasting is a slow but much more delicate process. It has the distinct advantage that the particles are so small and soft that they won't work harden the surface of flat panels. If you use "regular" media on flat panels like door skins the panel will warp. Baking soda won't cause this problem. For some projects it will be worth it.

Another stripping alternative is dipping followed by phosphate coating. There are pros and cons to that process based on the ability of the part being able to completely drain out the chemicals used. Its best advantage is being able to remove all the trapped bits of rust and such that other methods (even blasting) can't remove.