• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How on EARTH did I mess this up? - fuel pump...

cmacmillan

Half venting - half seeking help! Pulled the pump on my TR6 (gas in the crank case)...replaced the diaphram and thought I'd be a hero and swap out the valves that came with the kit - should have just left the old ones. For starters, taking them out was like performing civil war field surgery. Then, the dome came off one the cheap replacement valves which I think I managed to re-secure. But now, the inlet side valve is rattling around like loose change. Questions - should I...

1) find some way of securing the rattling valve (ideas?!)
2) scrap it and buy a new pump or look for a used?
3) get myself in more trouble and take it as a sign to block the the engine and go electric?

...it's always the "simple things"...

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Re: How on EARTH did I mess this up? - fuel pump..

Did you "stake" the valves into their housings? I had a problem w/ MOSS valves being too big; you seem to have the opposite problem. Hopefully, the valves are in their respective spots.....

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee

I had a valve come out of the pocket and break the metal part of the diaphragm. The car ran well until the tank was about 1/3 full, at which point the liquid head got low and the engine began to sputter. I used a little bit of epoxy around the edge of the new valves and made sure to "tap" a good piece of metal to hold ("stake") them in with a small punch, if you have one.

I've heard the "new" pumps are crap, but don't have personal experience.

OP
cmacmillan

cmacmillan

Well, I thought I'd staked it, though now I'm not so sure! I knocked back the small indents in trying to remove them. With the new valves, I got them into the housing by hammering the top of a round hollow pipe which did a good job of getting them in....I figured (wrongly!) they'd be in there snug and it'd just be a matter of hitting the indents in to make sure they wouldn't drop out. It didn't seem like the punched indents were holding them in so much as they were keeping them from coming all the way out. I'm baffled at how there's enough play for the one to rattle around.

D

DougF

I bought a new pump a couple of years ago. It looks the same as the original and works well so far. I had some problems with it in the beginning that were due to poor assembly...most of the screws across the top were loose.
TRF had a new one at our club's annual tune up clinic a few weeks ago. Looked very nice, but was a bit more costly than mine.

OP
cmacmillan

cmacmillan

Wow - THAT's a good looking pump, if you don't mind me saying! That a great tip about grinding down the peened metal.

I still can't figure out how there's play in the housing...is the peening to secure it in the housing or should the valve be secured and the peening simply closes the opening to keep it from falling out if it works itself out that far?

simpson

It's been awhile since I rebuilt mine, but seem to recall the kit had some little fiber gaskets that went under the valves that may have helped secure them.

Minesweeper

If you get to the point where you are ready to throw in the towel on your rebuild, consider sending your pump to Then And Now Automotive. I think Paul (Brosky) would agree that they provide the best rebuild kit now available (for about $45). For an extra $40 they will media blast, paint and rebuild your pump using their rebuild kit. I rebuilt my pump twice with kits from other suppliers and could never get it completely right. I finally sent my pump to Then And Now this past winter -- its the first time I've had a good looking, fully functional and leak-free pump in many years!

Scott

OP
cmacmillan

cmacmillan

Thanks everyone - Scott, that looks like a great service....that's my "last straw" option!

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag

Cam,

I believe I have a "bottom" for you with the valves still staked in place if you need it.

Let me know.

Cheers,
Tush

OP
cmacmillan

cmacmillan

Tush - that'd be golden if you do....can I check out the progress on the 3 while I'm up there?!

I'll PM you.

-c