• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rebirth of the B

don62

Re: Last week of the B

MGB 76 Electronic Firing!

I'm thinking abour replacing my firing system by an electronic one. Will it be more reliable?
What is the best maintenance manual to buy?

Thanks

Don

OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well it's been just over 11 years and 50,000 miles of playing in the canyons around Los Angeles and the B is due for a refresh. Unfortunately while the paint still looks good for the most part rust has popped up in the front fender seems and the upper inner rear quarter panel has a bunch of bubbling paint and the lower rockers don't have to much left from the the dirty canyon roads.

So it's time to start over again and this time it won't be a short and quick restoration. So far the plans are to fix the rust issue at the fender beads and then eliminate them along with the rear beads the same as my gt. Fix a few other issues that have bugged me and take the car to a much higher standard body and paint wise. The engine will also be rebuilt to fully take advantage of the blower. I still haven't decided if I'm going to change the color but Mineral Blue keeps popping into my head.

2016-06-25%2016.18.51a.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Somewhere I read you take a 100 point car, drive it down to 50 points and start over again. Good luck! Keep us posted and FWIW I like the colour it is.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Somewhere I read you take a 100 point car, drive it down to 50 points and start over again. Good luck! Keep us posted and FWIW I like the colour it is.

Jay Leno uses that line a bunch.

Good luck with the re-restoration. That Mineral Blue color is really nice if you do decide to go color change. Will be a fun project, keep us informed as you go along.

I'm going to start taking mine apart soon also. It has rested long enough.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Long time no read!

Maybe next summer will be a good year for all our B's. Mine is in desperate need of an engine rebuild.

OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
It's moving much faster than planned. Supposed to look at a paint sample on monday. Seams are gone along with the side marker lights. Ended up leaving the reverse lights as parallel parking my 67 which never had them on the street and backing out of parking spots confuses other drivers badly.

2016-09-12%2012.56.46a.jpg

2016-09-12%2012.55.59a.jpg

2016-09-12%2012.56.22a.jpg

2016-09-12%2012.57.18a.jpg

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Excellent. Are you leaving the chrome strip down the side?

Nice. Can that be done on a RB car?

OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm keeping them as I'd rather change a 20 buck strip of stainless steel than look at a door ding for years. Absolutely Kenny as that is a rubber bumper car though the bumpers have been in a landfill for 11 years.

Yeah, I'm going to ditch mine (the bumpers) in this rebuild too.. they are saggy and mis-shaped... not to mention the weight. So how? Grind em off (the fender ridges) and fill, or...?

OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
cut the top of the bead off and then cut out the middle portion from between the fenders. The beads are formed like a T. Once its out weld it up and shape. I'll see if I can dig up a picture. Nice thing is now that they are gone I'll never have to worry about rust forming there again.

Yes. Pictures are key.:chuncky:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Funny, that: I spent HOURS making the beads on our '64 look like factory.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Mistake, sorry