• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

radiators

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
As I'm going through my breaking of my new engine I've kept an eye on the temp gauge. With my 1275 I've had in the car for about 5 yrs, it at 75 mph on hot days (and it was really hot last summer) pushed toward the 235 on the gauge. I had my rad cleaned and the shop said it was as good as new. But, I really don't want to let the new motor get that hot. My dad, an 86 yr old retired Chevy mech(from the cast iron block era) has told me if the rad doesn't boil over, no harm. This winter, I thought hard about an aluminum rad, and just couldn't bring myself to do it. Now, I've found a local shop that will take the old rad and order in a new 3 row unit built to spec and solder it to the old tanks. I've read in the day, there was a tropical rad available that was of this type. It seems it is the solution of all the problems.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Have you verified that the gauge reading is correct? That may be a prudent step prior to shelling out the bucks for a radiator, only to find that it was an indication problem in the first place.
Jeff

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Bugeye58 said:
Have you verified that the gauge reading is correct? That may be a prudent step prior to shelling out the bucks for a radiator, only to find that it was an indication problem in the first place.
Jeff

Good advice, I've come to learn to always suspect the gauge too! What temp t-stat are you running?

GreenHornet

Jedi Trainee
Just my $.02 but you might want to check the thermostat. Make sure it is the warm weather one and is working properly by putting in water the temp it should open. And check the water pump too. If it is in poor condition then that might be something to look at. Cheaper to do those than a radiator. If it persists an oil cooler might help to keep overall temps down too. I am doing that for my car soon.

OP
kcbugeye1275

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
With you on all accounts. I had the capulary tube on the thermostat rebuilt a couple yrs ago and checked it then. I've been through this problem with my sons TR6 and found the problem was indeed the temp gauge. I have an oil cooler, but it is mounted behind the rad. and I do need to change this location. I think when you make a small motor push a 5 speed at 75 it simply is working harder and you simply don't get something for nothing. I believe the result is heat which is not being disapated. The temp of the thermostat is another issue. I've run a 165 for yrs, but I've been told to run at least a 180. The motor actually is better off at 180 and above.