• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pet peeves - we all have them

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Bicyclists who ride right on the line or even a little into the road when riding on a bike path adjacent to the roadway. On rt66 near my house, the right and left shoulders are about 6 ft wide for bikes. It drives me crazy when they ride right on the line or even in the car traffic lane as if to dare someone to hit them!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And people who parking in front of a fire hydrant,& park in
a handicapped place,when they aren't.
I just got into an argument with a guy,after informing his
girlfriend that she was parked in a handicapped space,who thought
that it was no big deal.
The girl said that she was "just going to parked there for a minute".
She did however,move after that.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
So I went into a large chain auto parts store today to buy a timing light. The guy standing there behind the counter in front of the timing lights asks if he can help.

I tell him "I'm looking for a timing light." He looks at his computer screen and says "This way" as he leads me down the isle with the light bulbs to stop in front of the drop lights.

I say "No, these aren't timing lights."

I head back toward the counter. The second guy comes up and asks if he can help. I tell him "I'm looking for a timing light."

Fortunately, he knew what one was, although he didn't know any more than that.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
John - that reinforces my thoughts that young folk these days have no clue about things like plugs, points, carbs, timing, valves, etc.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
People who can't crimp connectors so they don't pull off the wire. (That one is aimed at me. Rewiring the dash on the spitfire and I am finding a lot of connectors with bad crimps, all of which I did.):livid:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
People who can't crimp connectors so they don't pull off the wire. (That one is aimed at me. Rewiring the dash on the spitfire and I am finding a lot of connectors with bad crimps, all of which I did.):livid:

Maybe your crimping tool is worn out? :cool-new:

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Very good tool, poor operation I do believe. Checking and repairing as I go.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
John - that reinforces my thoughts that young folk these days have no clue about things like plugs, points, carbs, timing, valves, etc.

but why would they? I wouldn't have the first clue about how to put in a bit or a bridle or put on a saddle - for exactly the same reason.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Who doesn't know how to put a bit and bridle on a horse or saddle it? Bunch of city slickers, that's who. Need to just go back to where they are from and leave all of us alone.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Who doesn't know how to put a bit and bridle on a horse or saddle it? Bunch of city slickers, that's who. Need to just go back to where they are from and leave all of us alone.

nFsxZOMSvHQnWU6hMJC3ij3JbQx.jpg

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
MY PEEVE:
The delay in turning off bright screens at the symphony or a play. They know those things have to be turned off... and now that the lights are low, they're fiddling with the dang things.
Related: the moment intermission rolls around, out come the phones.

We went to "Fiddler On The Roof" (on Broadway) about 2 weeks ago. There was a guy next to me that never turned if off and held the screen against his leg. He'd take peeks every minute (to FaceBook) until I looked at him squarely and said "stop it!" He did.

Last edited:

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Ratcheting?
Nope. Hand squeeze. I had injured my wrists just before doing the wiring the last time. No power in my hands. Going better this time.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Computers and smart phones that seem to slow down and get clunky over time for no apparent reason as if they have some built in obsolescence

New software and operating systems that move around/change all the commands and controls so you have to relearn all the things you new how to do perfectly well and were perfectly happy with for the tenth time now. Make it faster, more secure, more reliable, keep the operation the same, if they switched the clutch and brake with each new car that came out the press and public would come unglued, but we accept the same like cattle on computers and other automated devices.

Yield signs, it is a really simple concept, but seems like half or more don't get it, on both sides, I have people yield to me when I have the yield sign, and people who have the yield sign and still barrel on through.

Four way stops--this is probably my biggest, a third or so just pull up and always think it is their turn, a third pull up scared to death and think it is never their turn, a third try to go in order, but are so flummoxed about everyone else not that they can't figure out what to do either.

Country flag
Speaking of stop signs, those who view them as just some sort of "vague" suggestion, maybe they'll stop, maybe just slow down a bit.

Or those not paying enough attention and deciding "nope, not where I wanted to go". Had some lady in a van in front of me turn onto the freeway on ramp the other day. Got all the way to the end, hit the brakes and turned around and headed back down the ramp in the wrong direction mouthing "sorry" and waving as she headed back. Pay attention people and know where you want to go!!..

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Ok, this is more than a Pet Peeve, it is more along the lines of raging outrage! Let me caveat this by saying, this is NOT intended as a political statement because my issue is non-partisan - I.E., I don't care WHO is doing it or which party or candidate would benefit. But, I have been reading a lot lately about voter fraud. It is a bigger problem than some may think. There are many documented reports of people voting multiple times, just in different counties. Also, I read a recent report (happens to be in Colorado) where dead people are on the voter roles and living family members (or others) are voting on behalf of the dead people. I'm sure this is happening in other states.

My take - I served my country for 24 years and many people have died to protect and defend our freedoms. The right we have to vote is sacred and in my humble opinion, ANYONE - regardless of party - who is found guilty of intentionally diluting your vote or my vote via intentional fraud of any kind, should be sentenced to 20 years in prison - minimum. Yes, I know that sounds harsh, but people have died to protect that right and we should be very very harsh on anyone who commits fraud against you and I and our right to vote!

I agree with you on that Basil. Aside from that, I'm about tired of people seemingly not noticing my white 06 F150, and trying to pull out onto the highway directly in front of me like they have a deathwish.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I agree with you on that Basil. Aside from that, I'm about tired of people seemingly not noticing my white 06 F150, and trying to pull out onto the highway directly in front of me like they have a deathwish.

How about those people (I always seem to get behind) who are doing 40MPH when they enter onto a freeway with a 75MPH speed limit!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
How about those people (I always seem to get behind) who are doing 40MPH when they enter onto a freeway with a 75MPH speed limit!

Had this happen more than once, dropping down on the acceleration lane on a freeway and the person in front of me comes to a full stop! And, if you hit them it's your fault! They shouldn't even be behind the wheel! Not that I couldn't stop, but what's the joker behind me going to do. :argue: