• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pet peeves - we all have them

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
One more. People who use "iregardless" - irregardless of whether it is a real word. :grin:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
One more. People who use "iregardless" - irregardless of whether it is a real word. :grin:

Another one is when people use a double negative and end up saying the opposite of what they mean. For example, "I didn't do nothing," meaning "I did something." Or, "I don't have none," meaning "I have some."

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
People who use wooded areas as a place to dump old tires, sinks, etc.

Inconsiderate Jetski operators

Ditto on the yappy dogs

People who move next to a gun club and then start efforts to close it because of noise

Incorrect usage of apostrophe's :friendly_wink:

With more added daily as I get older....

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
And from an old fart:
Ditto shopping carts left in lot. I always walk them back to the store just for the exercise. And I'm 82.
On I-95 under Cruise Control, you come up on a slow driver and can't pass because there's a guy creeping into your blind spot so you have to come out of CC;
The jerk at the toll booth who's asking how to get to Cleveland by way of Richmond and Chicago;
GPS directions that are clearly wrong because you know the route;
Cardboard milk cartons that you can't open without leaving a dirty fingerprint on the tab the milk comes out of;
Dog owners who don't pick up after their precious pooches;
"No Internet Connection";
Careless morons who open their car door and bang it into your door. I have a small but deep dimple in the driver door of my leased Subaru - too small to take out, big enough to notice;
"Hi! I'm Shawn your waiter and I'll be waiting on you tonight"> OK Shawn. I'm PD and I'm your customer and you'd better get the order right;
Noisy restaurants. We've walked out of a few. They think young people like noise. Maybe they're right;
Kids running around restaurants while parents let them. I once told an obnoxious little twerp to SIT DOWN!. He glared at me, but obeyed. Several tables thanked me.
Porsh instead of Por-sha.
Women - and some men - who BS with the bank teller while you wait in line just to cash a check;
Improper use of a golf cart that slows up play for everybody;
Football players who celebrate after making a first down like they just won the Super Bowl;
TV ads that you don't know what the product is;
Pop-up ads on You Tube and the Internet;
Wide-mouth jars that are impossible to open. I've returned a few.
Anyone over the age of 16 that wears a baseball hat backwards, thereby negating its usefulness.
Did I leave out anything??

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
How 'bout ... you take your car to the shop for the 9am appointment. Right on time.

Mechanic drives it to the lift, and raises it up.

Mechanic immediately gets called to the front desk. Another customer wants to "talk" to him about possible mods to his car - which isn't even at the shop. Customer won't shut up.

After 90 minutes (yep, 90 minutes), mechanic is still stuck with customer who won't stop yakking.

I walk up to mechanic, and calmly say "So how's the work on my car going?"

Mechanic says "It's really busy today - sorry." Yakking customer then realizes what's happening, and leaves.

Mechanic starts to work on my car.

Good grief.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And from an old fart:

"Hi! I'm Shawn your waiter and I'll be waiting on you tonight"> OK Shawn. I'm PD and I'm your customer and you'd better get the order right;

Ooo Oooo "Hi, I'm Shawn, how are we tonight?" "I'm fine, don't you know how you are?"

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
.... & Nascar drivers who have to spin donuts EVERY TIME,
when they win.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How about asking for a 5/16"-24 bolt and the guy at the store asks "what are you going to use it for?"
Duh, a 5/16" threaded hole.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
How about asking for a 5/16"-24 bolt and the guy at the store asks "what are you going to use it for?"
Duh, a 5/16" threaded hole.

Actually that's not that dumb of a question because bolts come in different grades. A grade 8 bolt is much stronger in terms of load and tensile strength, but if you're bolting something together that isn't going to put a lot of load on the bolt then a grade 2 or 5 might be ok.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Elliot, A lot of folks haven't the knowledge that some of us do about tensile strength of bolts, probably why the question was asked. I have a chart for shear strength of bolts which I need for some of the bolts on my equipment and periodically it comes in handy. I have 2 pieces of equipment that take bolts designed to sheer, up to a 5 will sheer, an 8 will not sheer and break the shaft. I learned that the hard way! $$$$$! :rolleyes2:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The bolt question reminded me of an incident. I went to the hardware store with my son-in-law to get more nails. Clerk asked if he could help. I said we need a pound of 16 penny nails. Clerk foolishly asked "How long do you want them?" I of course answered "Probably a long time. We're building a wall." I had been wanting to do that for years.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
:lol: That's funny! I would loved to have seen the look on his face. :highly_amused: PJ

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Driving on the Interstate in the Right hand lane catching up with an eighteen wheeler. You can see someone is catching up with you a bit faster than you are to the truck so you decide to let them pass and intend to pull out behind them.
They then slow to match your speed till you are forced to brake/slow down then they resume their previous speed.

Drivers Reading books/newspaper/map on the steering wheel while doing 65 mph on I 20.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
How 'bout some of my wunnerful neighbors, who put their kids on skate boards, and pull the boards with the lawn tractor *while mowing*.

And of course, while Dad is mowing, he's wearing headphones.

Good grief. I've heard too many stories of kids horribly mutilated while riding behind a mower.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
How 'bout some of my wunnerful neighbors, who put their kids on skate boards, and pull the boards with the lawn tractor *while mowing*.

And of course, while Dad is mowing, he's wearing headphones.

Good grief. I've heard too many stories of kids horribly mutilated while riding behind a mower.

Dad doesn't sound too bright. Maybe ate lead paint chips as a child?

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Not for most but when I was running SAR(search and rescue) in Coast Guard, hated the jet skiers and small boaters who just had to go out in rough surf for the thrill and we would have to go out to rescue them. USCG motto you have to go out but you don't have to come back.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
One more I forgot. You're inside a car showroom looking at that convertible when a salesman comes up and says "Whaddya think?".
Another cliche - "What will it take to get you into that car?" Answer - "a less pushy salesman".

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I just hate it when people take their anteaters for a walk and not pick up after their messes.

CsF1sVUUAAAD6qR.jpg