• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Odyssey Drycell Batteries

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Anyone using one of these? Anyone know if they will work OK with generator?

Car died at a stop sign last night due to headlights draining battery with low RPM's from city stop-&-go. My Lexus Race team friend says he is using these in race cars and they are much better than convential wetcell. Would like some forum feedback before I spend 2x as much for a replacement battery.
Thanks for the input.

Steve_S

Yoda
Never used an Odyssey but I can vouch for Optima batteries. They are far, far superior to standard batteries in all respects (except price!). They will theoretically hold a charge for years and will outlast a standard battery greatly.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Dart, might be cheaper in the long run to get an alternator like was used on the later SP250 cars since no battery will make up the deficiency of the generator. However, the Gel Cell batteries do have a greater life span than the lead acid type. On the other hand, they can not and should not be fast charged on a conventional automotive battery charger. There maximum recharge rate is defined as C/20.This simply means it should require 20 Hrs to fully recharge one.---Fwiw---Keoke

Bawanadic

I do believe the Odessey is a spiral wound battery ( I know the Optima is ) and they are not gel cells.
Interstate Batteries has a good promo on them.
Expensive but great cold start power.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well you are correct Bwanadic , However, the Odessy are more correctly known as Starved Electrolyte Type and Optima is an AGM rather than gel cells.However. if you do not have adequate charging at low RPM typical of generators.Then in this case I suggest a later model SP250 Alternator be installed. On the otherhand the control box may need replacing or readjustng a bit still will not charge at idle but may put out more at speed---Keoke

OP
DART

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the input, have never seen a listing for an alternator that would fit the car, and didn't know the later cars had them. My reluctance to do one is the expected need to modify the brackets, etc. I will give John Carey a call tomorrow and check that option out. I have looked at the Odyssey factory site and they seem to offer a better battery, no matter what. I have the feeling there is some serious bank account deflation ahead.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes give John a call Dart. I think he can set you up with all the bits you will need.---Keoke.