• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My 1992 Sonoma...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
that I love & am sneaking up on 400,000 miles broke yesterday morning....when I went to pull the tilt wheel down into driving place I heard a "snap" & it jumped right back up into the high position....& it flopped all around as I drove to my friend's salvage yard....

The only truck he had of that <span style="font-style: italic">'old a vintage'</span> ('92 is old!) was stacked up on a pile of cars designated for crushing....with other cars stacked on top of it......but, it had a steering column that worked, was just like mine & had everything on it that mine has.

Have you ever climbed a mountain of old cars & trucks, pulled a steering column praying all the time that one of the cars on top of you didn't shift & fall?

Well, I now have a good steering column....gotta clean it up this afternoon & remove the Chevrolet steering wheel so I can install my GMC whee on it...supposed to be sunny & a little warmer tomorrow so I'll make the switch then.

Always something....but, I'm gonna get 1,000,000 miles out of that truck before I turn it loose!

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
You put some miles on that truck every year......

So... your friend.. did he look the other way when you climbed up there,
or does he have a life insurance policy on you. :thumbsup:
I guess you do your best not to forget any tools on the ground.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
He did say something like, <span style="font-style: italic">"The only one I know that's left is out on the scrap pile but I don't know if it has a column. You're on your own if you decide to look. But, if you find one, it's yours."</span>

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Well.... :smile:

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
& it cleaned up pretty good....tomorrow I hope to get it installed.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Corvette column doesn't fit a Sonoma? :jester:

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
JPSmit said:
Corvette column doesn't fit a Sonoma? :jester:
:jester: is right....hehehe

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Steering column is replaced - real pain in the butt! Only thing left is that I've gotta go buy a steering wheel puller to get the Chevrolet wheel off the column so I can install my GMC wheel on it.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tony,

Have you tried loosening the nut behind the steering wheel,
& yank it hard a few times to loosen it? This has worked for me.

- Doug

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
AngliaGT said:
Tony,

Have you tried loosening the nut behind the steering wheel,
& yank it hard a few times to loosen it? This has worked for me.

- Doug
That is a good way to loose a few teeth when the wheel violently pops off. A steering wheel puller is much cheaper than an emergency trip to the dentist.

Country flag
70herald said:
AngliaGT said:
Have you tried loosening the nut behind the steering wheel, & yank it hard a few times

I think the point here is to loosen the nut, not remove it. This would allow the wheel some room to move while preventing it from smacking you in the mouth.... :smile:

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
everyone needs a steering wheel puller in their tool collection...bought mine over 30 years ago and know I used it that one time!!!! :crazyeyes:

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep - tried it all...& I need a steering wheel puller anyway.....

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah,I said loosen the nut,not remove it.I've always
been able to get steering wheels off that way.

- Doug

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That Chevy wheel won't come off with me & a friend both tugging on it - loosened nut of course.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
drooartz said:
tony barnhill said:
loosened nut of course.
You, or your friend? :devilgrin:
All 3....steering wheel puller popped it with almost no work!