• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Motor and Trans Out!!! TR3 shift lever???

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
We got the motor and trans out as one unit and used a adjustable lift... 15 minutes after we had everything disconnected... I attached a picture, hope I di it right! The work starts now as I get the engine bay ready for the new engine and Toyota trans...

I am very much in need of a TR3 shift lever. The one we pulled out was broken and brased together very crudly.. If you have a spare one please let me know and I'll more than happy to pay... PeterK , I sent you a PM about the Toyota conversion....You got to lov these LBC's

Attachments

• 258227-Mot_tran_out.JPG
    258227-Mot_tran_out.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 121

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sorry CaptRoy,

I don't have a spare shift lever but I see they are available through Moss P/N 848-220 $56.95 says its a one piece lever to be used in place of the earlier two piece. None on e-bay currently.

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks,

I'll check out MOSS... I thought they didn't carry it....

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Re: Motor and Trans Out!!! TR3 shift lever???

Hey, I'm in Spring...
I have a spare TR6 shifter (I'm not sure how different it is since all the transmissions are fairly close) -and I'm hoping to install the toyota transmission in my TR3. I'd like to check out your progress.

You can email me at jerryg98 at flash dot net.

sammy

Country flag
I am planning on converting also. How did you decide which Toyota transmission to use? Gear ratios, weight, availability?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I am planning on converting also. How did you decide which Toyota transmission to use? Gear ratios, weight, availability?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go on Herman van den Akker's site , the fellow who makes the Toyota conversion kit, he has a table of the different Toyota transmissions and their ratios compared to the TR ratios. There are two Celica's that have ratios close to the TR's for the first four gears. The last one on the Celica list is called the W58, which is the most widely available Celica trans. It's the one I wound up getting. I'd stay away from the truck transmissions, as the ratios in the lower gears are very low, and then there is a wide gap going into third. You may want that, but I decided to keep them more evenly spaced.

Give Herman a call and talk to him about the conversion. He's a real Triumph enthusiast, and a pleasure to talk to.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Edit: BTW, the weight of the Toyota trans with Hermans bellhousing, etc attached weighs in at about 18 lbs. more then the TR trans. (I weighed them myself) Herman says that the Toyota conversion weighs in at about 50 lbs. less the the TR w/OD, but that sounds like alot to me. Anybody out there know how much more an OD TR trans weighs then the four speed??

Avaliability is good, as the trans is pretty bullet-proof, so the demand is much less then the supply. It should be no problem to pick one up for between $150-$250 in good shape.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody out there know how much more an OD TR trans weighs then the four speed??

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to recall it adds about 45 lbs. The 4-speed TR box weighs roughly 75 lbs. Best guess, the OD g'box weighs in at about 120 lbs.

So if the Toy g'box comes in at 93 lbs (?), the OD TR box is heavier by about 27 lbs net.

That wouldn't be a weight savings to sneeze at with a vintage racer, if their class allowed a Toy 5-speed (which is pretty unlikely). Racers usually go with a straight 4-speed that's had the ratios changed around a bit, and keeps weight to a minimum.

But, for a fun driver I'd personally rather have the effective 7-speed of the TR box w/OD.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif