• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Latest Tires

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Chassis time is finally here, so I need a set of tires. Number one priority is that I would like the tire to fit the TR2 spare well without too much trouble (48 spoke wire wheels). Performance is not a concern, although quality is. Tires I am looking at currently are:

Michelin XZX, which is a 165 wide tire, and appears to be the only one they make for us.

Pirelli 155HR15 Cinturato CA67, which is a bit narrower tire.

I just wondered if anyone has experience with these...or if there are other recommendations for a tire that will fit the well?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have always had to deflate my 165s to get them into the spare well on my pre-60000 TR3A. That's with a steel rim and all brands I have used through the years (Michelin, Nexen, Cooper, Kuhmo & Vreds).

Not that big a deal if you also carry a compressor or (better yet) never have a flat.

In any case, not all spare compartments are the same after all these years and replacement of panels just adds to that so it may be difficult to take someone else's experience 'to the bank'.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I bought a set of Michelin X tires quite a few years ago simply because they had the same tread pattern that was on the car when I bought it in 1964. I don't think those are available in 155 or 165 15 any more. I guess the xzx would be a good substitute (I have them on the Herald with no issues.) as would the Pirellis. I have no experience with others.
My post 60k TR3 accepts the steel wheeled spare in the tire cubby, fully inflated. My earlier car has a spare in it but I don't think I've ever checked the size, nor the pressure for that matter. On my to do list now.
Tom

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Just a rumor, but I heard that all the tires that fit these cars are made at the same place. The story goes they bought all the molds. If true and for my way of thinking, I would expect all the tires to cost about the same.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi John
I went into Discount Tire and they calc'd the diameter of my four main tires and then identified a thinner spare with the same diameter but flatter profile so it slips right in, fully inflated, into the spare well (with steel wheel). I can check all the numbers tonight and let you know what I've got, in case it's important. If you want five tires that are all identical, then my info won't be much help.

pat

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I seem to remember someone using a compact spare from a mid 90s Japanese car. They claimed that it had the right bolt pattern and rolling radius and it fit in the tire compartment with plenty of room to spare. The advantage here would be that if you had this as a spare you could use whatever sized tire on the car that you preferred. Obviously, if you had the spare mounted on the car you would need to temporarily carry the oversized flat tire behind the seats. Does anyone have a better memory than me to recall the specifics?

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here is the combo I used ... stock steel rim with narrower tire for spare. Kumhos mounted on alloy rims. Cheers, Mike

image.jpeg

image.jpg

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the responses! I have to be honest, I hadn't even thought about having a narrow tire for the spare...Duh! It sounds like that is the way to go. Having the spare in the tire rotation only complicates rotation anyway. From the ideas above, I also found the Kumho's are very reasonably priced. I'm pretty sure those are what were on my TR3 when I got it. I also see Discount sells a "Classic" brand tire for about $60.

Thanks again for all the input to help me make a choice!

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Update: Started calling around. The Kumho's are out of stock everywhere I found. The Michelins at Coker are $126 ea for the tires, but when I filled out the address, they run another $105 ea for shipping. Gulp! I refuse to pay as much for shipping as the tire costs.

Moving on...

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That's what I am seeing. I initially thought it WAS a Michelin, but I now realize they simply bought the old Michelin mold and reproduce the tire.

Oh...the shipping must have had a glitch...after telling me it would be over $400 to ship a set, the browser popped back to $105 to ship all 5. Much more reasonable!?!

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If Coker sells them try Jegs or Speedway. They will ship them for free after $250.00 total That's how I got my Vredestein's. Which buy the way fit in with ease into the spare tire slot.

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Hi John:
All five tires on my TR2 (TS981L) are Vredesteins and the 4" steel wheel spare just does barely fit with the 155R15. Don't know if your 48 spoke wires would be different but in my case it is a tight fit! Bought from Coker (good service, reliable products and decent price).

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am running Firestone F560, in the original width of 155 for my TR2 with 48 spoke wires. I like something closer to the original grip and release point. It fits in my spare compartment.

Dan

image_zpsplgd6qr6.jpg

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Boy I hate picking tires...I do really appreciate the comments and tips. I have spent the last several hours researching all of your choices and tips above.

The cheapest tire we currently have available for our TR2/3's is by Nankang. About $57 and free shipping from Amazon. I could not bring myself to buy a Chinese tire. Just me...as the reviews were actually good for it.

I then checked out the Kumhos, but they all seem to be out of stock. They may have abandoned us!?!

I like the Vredestiens, but their price was approaching that of the vintage reproduction tires.

I almost popped on the Firestones, as they are the least expensive of the vintage, at about $80 each. The most expensive tires are the Pirelli's, at over $200 ea. I couldn't justify that price.

I finally went for the Michelins. The write up made it sound like they are reproductions of the original 1940's/50's tire, that could have actually been installed on the TR2 "back in the day". I checked out Jeg's and Speedway...free shipping, but they upped the price a bit. The interesting thing is that the more I clicked around on the Coker website, the cheaper the shipping got!?! It wound up bottoming at $35 for 5 tires and tubes. In the end the cheapest price delivered to my door was from the Coker direct...assuming they don't call tomorrow and say the shipping was a mistake.

Again, thanks to each and every one of you who responded. Even if I didn't go with your recommendation, I used it to arrive at my final choice!

Edit: Oh, I went with the 165/80r15's all around, and the 145/80r15 for the spare. I'll report back later with the spare compartment fit...

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So how do you guys get your shipped-to-you tires mounted on your wheels? I can't imagine any tire store around me mounting tires they didn't sell me without greatly overcharging.

Thinking further, how does Tire Rack do it? Is rhere a network of independent tire stores around? I guess I'm surrounded by chains and franchises, not that I've investigated too much...

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So how do you guys get your shipped-to-you tires mounted on your wheels? I can't imagine any tire store around me mounting tires they didn't sell me without greatly overcharging.

Thinking further, how does Tire Rack do it? Is rhere a network of independent tire stores around? I guess I'm surrounded by chains and franchises, not that I've investigated too much...
Lots of good independent auto repair shops have tire machines and some even have alignment racks (we have both). It's worth calling a couple and see if they'll cut you a deal on simple mount and balance.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I seem to remember someone using a compact spare from a mid 90s Japanese car. They claimed that it had the right bolt pattern and rolling radius and it fit in the tire compartment with plenty of room to spare. The advantage here would be that if you had this as a spare you could use whatever sized tire on the car that you preferred. Obviously, if you had the spare mounted on the car you would need to temporarily carry the oversized flat tire behind the seats. Does anyone have a better memory than me to recall the specifics?
I am using a spacesaver spare from an Accura. Hole pattern is identical to my TR6. Now there is lots of room in the spare tire well and it saves the weight of a full size tire.