• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

irregular blinker

kevlin

Freshman Member
Recently, my turn indicators have kept up a very irregular beat, sometimes blinking very slowly, then speeding up and going quickly. Everything else in the car and engine sounds and acts fine. Any ideas?

Try checking your Batt terminals and the grounds for your lamps. some variation in blink rate related to system load and engine speed is normal. it shouldn't be all that noticeable tho.

mark

Country flag
Check your connections and grounds as suggested but I'd also suspect the flasher unit.

These are thermal units with the rate affected by the current carried and the heat it generates. Variations in the current due to variations in the wiring or bulb's resistence can then affect the rate. You may notice this when a bulb burns out and the remaining bulb flashes more rapidly. Check that there isn't an intermittant short on the wiring or a connection that is loose and makes varying success in completing the circuit; or there sometimes can be bulb filaments that short internally, though that's unusual and doesn't tend to last long.

If the connections are sound, then check the flasher unit, and I'm inclined to think its the most likely culprit in causing the problem. I also understand that the 4-way hazard system may sometimes create problems so that too should be checked, if you have one.

A useful resource:

https://www.mgb-experience.com/service/electrical/signals.html

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Here, Here. Bad gtound or flasher unit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I agree with the others. Double check (i.e. clean) the grounding you have at each of your turn signal lights, and the leads on the flasher unit. I'd also disconnect and clean the terminal and wire/cable connectors that connect to the starter from the battery and alternator. After making sure all your connectors, leads, and grounds are clean and have solib connections, if you still have an irregular beat, then I'd go pick up a new flasher unit.

I picked up a new flasher unit from my local Kragen for pocket change, and have had a rock steady flash rate since.