• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge I hate rust repair - TR8 Latest

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I hate rust repair - TR8 up-date

Well, I got a small patch in and though I was cruising right along. After spending about 1.5 hours on the "final" bigger patch I realized that I was going to weld it on metal that wasn't as solid as I hope.

So after digging around that I found that there is a hollow space under the floor, and had to remove the metal over that section to let in the patch properly....

Could be much worse I guess, but this is really humbling.

(the welds on the smaller patch are going to be re-done, just tacking in place for now)

TR8driversidefloorpatchwelding9--2.jpg

TR8driversidefloorpatchwelding9--3.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: I hate rust repair - TR8 up-date

What did you use to get rid of your adhesive on the floor?

IanF

Jedi Trainee

Rust... I just spent the evening last night under my 1800ES... staring at the bottom of the carpet insulation...

That ain't rust... :cryin:

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

Big old nasty wire brush.

Mine might be worse than most of the other Wedge owners here, but I found rust under the seam sealer here again.

Trying <span style="font-weight: bold">really</span> hard not to lap weld the panels in - butt-welding a compound curve area like this is proving to be difficult. More of a challenge in making the sheet metal fit - especially since I'm not using a replacement floor pan since only this area was past saving.

I took this as an opportunity to shoot some Eastwood AntiRust into the lower box section.

dklawson

Yoda

In your other thread discussing weld joints I mentioned that I use lap joints where they won't be seen. As was pointed out in that thread, the lap joints will become a trap for water if you're not careful. However, it's much easier to lap weld compound curves like you're dealing with (particularly with homemade patches) and then paint the repair with something like POR-15 or Rust Encapsulator followed by seam sealer.

Regardless, you're making great progress.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader

After this, the other side will be easier. :laugh:

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

Thanks Doug - I got stuck on the idea of doing butt-welds. It would have taken a bunch less time, but I wanted to push myself to see if I could do it. I have floor pans to do in the TR4 that I'm planning on following your lead on. Thanks for the support!

Ray - other side was solid thank goodness. I'll take wiring brushing over this any day.

Sheet metal is so thin here that I'm having a hard time not blowing through the metal, but definitely making progress (I think / hope).

TR8driversidefloorpatchwelding22-1.jpg

dklawson

Yoda

My welder is a scratch-start, DC-inverter TIG setup. Without a foot pedal to control the power/heat it's very easy for me to blow holes through panels. I feel your pain.

Your pictures show that you are making very steady progress with good results. I know it's pain but I can tell that with your attention to detail you'll have a very sound repair and that you'll be happy with the end results.