• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hurricane Sandy

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I want to offer everyone affected by hurricane Sandy my thoughts and prayers and hope everything returns to normal ASAP..
Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Michael Rowe - lives right on Long Island Sound. I know he had a BE and a Spridget he had that he was working on as he was transitioning to a retirement in Hawaii. Michael everything OK for you?

PHerder

Jedi Hopeful
From the Spridgets email list posted by "Brian S":
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]We made it through the storm very well.
One tree branch down in the back yard.
Lost power last night about 730.
Fortunately I didn't return the generator that we bought last year for Irene, but didn't need to use then. Bought 20 gallons for it Sunday. :smile: Most of Long Island, 90% + is without power.
Thousand of trees are down. Anything near the shoreline is devastated.

I just talked to Mike Rowe.
They didn't fair as well. Pretty bad is how he put it.
Flooded the bottom 4 feet of their house, knocked down a 1st floor wall.
lost some of their bulkhead.
Most of his tools and Spridget parts are ruined.

The Holy Sprite is safe and sound. They were in Boston over the weekend, but a neighbor moved it to higher ground.
[/QUOTE]

My mother lives exactly where the eye went thru in NJ. No damage and she never lost power. My sister lives 1 block away and is without power! Same sub-division! :rolleyes:

Police told them not to leave their houses since nothing was open due to lack of power in most areas.

My concern would be the Clarici's. Frank lived just a couple of blocks from the bay in Toms River, NJ. With all the flooding, I can't imagine they didn't have damage.

:frown:

nomad

Yoda
I was wondering about the Clarici's as well, Paul. I haven't been on the auto X list in a while and am wondering if anyone over there is keeping track.

Kurt.

PHerder

Jedi Hopeful
Just received from the Spridgets list posted by Ed of Just Brits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I just heard from Clarici Clan, folks ! ! !

Tiffany wrote:

<quote>
Hi Ed. We are all ok!! The storm ruined our neighborhood. It flooded pretty badly.
It's very sad. But we are safe and our homes were spared.
</quote>

That covers Lady Diane & ducks<G> and Frankie ! ! !

Ed
[/QUOTE]

So that is good news.

nomad

Yoda
Thanks, Paul, one of these days I'll be down to visit!

Kurt.

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
I'm glad to hear that so far everyone I know in the area is safe.
My elderly in-laws live in Lyndhurst, several blocks above the Passaic River. They are fine, but their friends in lower parts of town didn't do so well.
Good news about the Clarisi's, and a tough go for Mike.
I hope damaged and destroyed parts is the worst of it.
Be safe during the clean up
Phil

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
This is the Mantaloking Bridge just south of Point Pleasant NJ. I've been on this bridge hundreds of times over 50 years and have never seen anything like this. The house near the bridge apparently floated off its foundation and hit the bridge . Obviously, once you get on the bridge, there's no place to go since Rt 35 on the barrier island is underwater.

For more of my local photos (in Morris County, NJ) see My Posting in The Pub part of this forum.

541252_507377895948394_388659539_n.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Nial, Is that a current photo after Sandy rearranged all of the sand on the barrier island? Since I can see what looks like pilings for a dock on the left side of the photo I'm thinking the answer is yes. Gonna take a whole lot of fill and seawall construction to rebuild here.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
amazing! not entirely sure whether the boat in the backyard is supposed to be there.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Jim_Gruber said:
Nial, Is that a current photo after Sandy rearranged all of the sand on the barrier island? Since I can see what looks like pilings for a dock on the left side of the photo I'm thinking the answer is yes. Gonna take a whole lot of fill and seawall construction to rebuild here.

This is from a Facebook site HERE ....but people are adding photos all the time, so I can't find it right now.
I did hear a NJ State Police officer on NPR radio yesterday and he described the exact same scene at the photo (so I are pretty sure the photo is very recent).
I believe this was right around one of the storm surges, and then the water receded. But there is much damage that will need to be repaired.
Mantaloking is one of my favourite places at The Shore.