• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I am a victim of Hurricane Sandy

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello Forum,

Sadly, my Healey was met by both a fallen 3 foot diameter Oak tree, collapsing the garage roof, all entrapping my Healey.

From what I can see, which isn't much is a crushed windshield and driver door. Tires, or some still seem to have air but looks compressed. I hope chassis is not bent. May not be totaled., though will not know until all debris is removed.

Here are some shots, if I'm lucky to post. Still no power except for cell phone. Will post more when power is restored.

Paul

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Paul,
That is awful but glad you and your family are okay ! Hopefully not totally bent and you have good classic car insurance ! Really identify with your situation as also live in a hurricane prone area on the South Carolina coast and every year from June 1 to November 30th keep my fingers crossed. Hoping we are finally past it but who would have thought Sandy would come around at the end of October. Hope you get power back soon and let us all know how things are !
Regards,
Mike

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul,

So sorry for your loss, but from the news coming out of the tri-state area, there are a lot worse things that could have been happened as a result of Sandy. Remember, once you get back on your feet,

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. Better than it was before. Better...stronger...faster."

And we'll be here to help you figure out how to spend that insurance check.

OP
pkmh

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks all. Still no power so can't do too much for now. In fact, writing this in the dark. I really hope car can be saved. Spent two years on her and was looking nice. Hope the check will do enough. Will know later when 'dust' settles.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Good day Paul,
I'm sorry to hear about your plight, but as others have said, it's good that you have not been injured. I live in Queensland, Australia, and my town was devastated by flood in January, '11. Other parts of Queensland were later hit by Cyclone Yasi so we know what you are going through.
Keep your chin up, mate.

Alwyn

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hello Paul,

I am really sorry to hear about your situation, I also had the misfortune of a bad flood in 2011. I returned from Indonesia after 6 months,Flew 24 hours back to the states, Got out of the taxi and discoverd my home was a complete loss! I lost everything! Except my garage my Healey and 350 Z and other toy's I had stored in there. I lived in 3 hotels and a rented townhome until my home was completly rebuilt, it took a year! "Not fun" I just moved into my new home last June. It will take alot of time but you will recover my friend! I don't know the extent of damage to your property. However, Finding a good contractor that knows how to deal with the insurance company is half the battle. Thank God you and your family are ok. Keep us informed as to how you are doing. Best Regards, Michael, IL.

OP
pkmh

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the continued support and possible 'condolences' for my Healey.

Was able to take more pictures today after revealing some of the tarp. DOESN'T LOOK GOOD--CHASSIS RESTING ON FLOOR. Stress cracks, buckling in numerous places.

Monday will be when workers start removing roofing piece by piece and then hopefully roll her out.

Still can't post pics just yet...Still no power except for cell phone. No heat t.v., hot water, etc., but not complaining, except my poor Healey.

To be continued...

Paul

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Please keep us informed Paul. Perhaps your Healey can be saved. On the upside you are keeping us informed and you and your family are still a unit. Family is so important and everything else is simply the frosting on the cake.

OP
pkmh

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Please keep us informed Paul. Perhaps your Healey can be saved. On the upside you are keeping us informed and you and your family are still a unit. Family is so important and everything else is simply the frosting on the cake.

Yes, it's true. Nothing worse happened to us as a family and we are all still alive, especially my 88 year old mother who has had to put up with this ordeal. Her garage, her car (and mine) and portions of her house were attacked by what we now know as a 130 year old oak tree, which measured a whopping 3'-4" diameter caliper.

My Healey is presently under a make shift tarp (my original tarp virtually pulverized). She is now standing out in the cold. A piece of the tree's limb (about 8" in diameter), is still lodged (or stabbed through the rear seat portion, just missing the fuel pump). Tree, garage debris and whatever personal belongings that were there are now removed. Just my mother's crushed Audi, waiting to be towed for salvage and mine, waiting for the adjuster still, remain on a bare concrete pad.

I still wonder if it can be salvaged and have not done much of anything except think about where to have it repaired, if it is worth going that way. I spent two years and good money fixing her better than before. Again, I am waiting for the adjuster.

I know most of you are curious what damage has been done so a pic is hereby enclosed for your viewing pleasure. VERY NASTY!!!

Any condolences offered are graciously accepted.

But I haven't given up and will be back.

Thanks for your support and wishes.

Paul

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 127

SideShifter Tri-Carb

Country flag
Paul, Glad you and your mom are OK. If you have the slightest notion to rebuild, I would start looking into the kilmartin frames when you get back on your feet. They have a great package of chassis and body that could give you a jumpstart. Hopefully the shrouds are in usable shape - fenders and doors are much easier to acquire. The top appers to have been stowed and possibly survived. Dash seems like its in great shape. Depending on your insured value, you may want to just buy it back from the insurance company and find another decent example and transfer the drivetrain and keep the rest for spares. For me, this is like giving up a 1st born. Keep us updated and if there is anything you need.

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
... . Family is so important and everything else is simply the frosting on the cake.

+1
Good luck with the insurance

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Paul,
That picture is worth a thousand words as they say and none of them would be fit to print ! Glad your family and Mom are okay and hopefully things are getting back to normal for you. Also hope you had a good insurance company with stated value for the BJ8. Let us know how things proceed and what the insurance company has to say !
Regards,
Mike

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hey Paul,
Also hope you had a good insurance company with stated value for the BJ8.
Regards,
Mike

Mike,

"Stated value" is not what you want to be looking for in a collector policy. We want "agreed value" in which the insurance company agrees to the value of the car prior to the loss and will pay that amount. Stated value doesn't do that. Here's a summary:https://https://www.hhrvresource.com/Images/PDFs/Stated_vs_Agreed_Value.pdf Incidents like Paul's can at least call attention to keeping our cars properly insured. My good friend in stuffing V8s into LBCs, David Townsend, recently got quite a shock when he looked into whether his unregistered MGB was covered under his homeowner's policy (fortunately he was doing this as a precaution and not as part of a loss). The short answer is that it wasn't. Here's his experience: https://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?10,34753

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Wow... that is heartbreaking... Glad you and your family is alright... Did anybody else notice that despite all the damage, the rear view mirror is untouched?

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Paul
Really sorry about your Healey...not a pretty sight. Like others have said, things can always be worse. Hopefully your insurance will cover the loss and you can begin your search for a replacement.
Best wishes,
S.