• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

heater fan

i spent most of the summer driving around with a perfectly functioning heater fan,who needed it in record breaking temps here on the east coast?and now that its time for"nit a sweater weather"you guest it,she dropped dead !ive never had this problem befor,and its not the easiest component to remove,ive got power going to it,but reading across the motor it shows open.i checked with moss and they want $130.95 for the motor assy. does anyone know if they can be rebuilt?are moss or other venders prices the most cost effective solution? anyone for frozen chimi changas? thanks anthony7777 1963 bj7 3000 M.K. II. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif Hello Anthony, Bet Virginia T got one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Most motors can be rewound not sure that is the most economical route to go though.You might open it up and see if its repairable with just a solder joint. Next step would be E-bay.---Fwiw---Keoke

OP
A
keoke,i know for a fact she got one!anyway theres a local guy here thats got a shop for rewinding motors,did 2 marine starter motors,and a 240 v.table saw motor[yes 240 v.]does realy nice work,but im not sure if heck do smaller stuff[blower motors]ill have to check him an monday,the work he did for me was about a third of what replaceing would have been.thanks always anthony7777. p.s. your thingamagig went out this past monday via u.s. mail "slow boat to china" method,you think the venders are slow?oh boy!ladda! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

CDK

Jedi Trainee
Anthony,
I hand rewound my wiper motor last year. It was nore of a coil, so it was not to bad. I will say, that I can now check it off on the things I have done in life list. To be honest with you, if I never had to do it again, it would be to soon.
My life long friend owns a motor shop and even with his and my own background, it still took a couple of tries. The cost of the wire is minimal but the labor for a shop to do it may not be all that much less then buying the new one. Did you take the motor housing apart and read right at the poles? I know when I took my blower motor apart to check it out and clean it up, I needed to replace the wires and did so with a smaller gauge, that was still the proper size, but much more flexiable. There was also some reason I focused on which should be hot and which should be negitive but I have forgotten why now. There was a pretty extensive discussion on the mail list a month or two ago about this.

CDK

OP
A
cdk,rewound your wiper motor?your a better man then i gunga din!id tried rewinding my "slot car" motors when i was a wee lad,and clearly remember not wanting to try it again.i havent taken the housing apart yet,for im still bemused over the timing of its failure,ill do that in a couple days,thanks for the heads up on the wires,and tip on discussion,yours trully,anthony7777,a.k.a frosty! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Anthony,

I cleaned up my motor recently. It was running but was rough and noisy. Easy to get apart once you have the motor out .. two long bolts hold the housings together. I cleaned up the commutator and brushes (the brushes even had good life left .. probably because it's lived in sunny California all it's life) used electric contact spray to clean all the parts, oiled the bearing surfaces and put it back together. The thin clear coating on the windings had chipped off in some areas but didn't know what to coat it with (ideas anyone?) Runs very smooth now on the bench test. New rubber mounts are avail. Let me know if you need any sources. Should be pretty easy to trouble shoot once you have it apart.

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI John, You can recoat the exposed areas with 5Min, Epoxy thinned with Acetone.---Fwiw---Keoke

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Thanks Dave and Keoke. Isn't glyptal the stuff they use on to seal interior surfaces on engine blocks? If so, I can get a capful from a local engine rebuilder I know.

Anthony .. take a look at ebay item number 4594756615 Looks to be the right one but you would need to double check dimensions with the seller. They have obviously replaced the 3 housing rivets with screws but Clarke Spares has the rubber grommets for this area (less than $2 for the set).

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep John, Glyptal is the stuff they use to seal interior surfaces of engine blocks. But Epoxy cures rapidly is easily attainable , does not harden with age and has a Higher dielectric strength.---Keoke

CDK

Jedi Trainee
Anthony,
Like you I never want to do a rewind for fun again. The hardest part is getting the OHM's right. My first attempt I did not get enough and had to unwind it and go down one gauge in wire size and then make sure it was wound tight enough to get all the wraps I needed. I also used epoxy when I was done.
I actually washed my car yesterday and went down to the deli and back. With the sun out for the first time today, I am tempted to take it to work but it tends to be a bit nippy on the ride home after midnight. My ear muffs and Scottish made tam are a big help.I will keep going till either to much snow or to much salt slows me down.

CDK

OP
A
john loftus,that one lookes as if the mounting flange is a bit dif. for the m.g.,but there is another item # 4594420354 and the add says its for a healey,that one needs a rebuild as well,i do have a source for one but trying to save a buck for xmass and all,thanks very much for the look out,anthony7777. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif