• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Has anyone put sound deadening in a TR3. Were the results worth it?

TR Mike

Country flag
Has anyone tried to put sound deadening material (like Dynamat or similar material) in a TR3. I am at the point where I will be installing carpet soon and was considering putting sound deadening on the floor and in the trunk area. It is worth the effort and expense? My new carpet kit has a felt layer, but I am talking about the foil faced material that is self adhesive.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Not in a TR3 but I put a similar product called "Roadkill" in the cockpit of my EType. The stuff is amazing!

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
I used two types, a heat reflective one on the transmission tunnel, and regular sound deadening on the floors and inside the doors. Made a HUGE difference in both road noise and heat inside the cockpit.

M

Member 10617

TR Mike,

I put foil covered felt, heat and sound deading material from Moss in my TR3. It has provided great heat protection and sound deadening. I found it very affordable and very easy to install.

TR3.10.37.jpg

Attachments

• TR3.10.39.jpg
    TR3.10.39.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 144
M

Member 10617

Bill,

I used what Moss lables as "Heatshield Material." You can find it on page A8 in their catalog.

I did not glue it down. Instead, I used 2" wide strips of VELCRO to hold it down. That way, whenever I want to remove the carpeting and the heatshield material to inspect, I can just pull it up and put it back down. Works fine.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I put the Dynamat in my Healey and it was really good at sound reduction, not as good at heat reduction which was what I was trying to do.

Jerry

M

Member 10617

The "Heatshield Material" I installed is very thick and for that reason, I guess, has been excellent for heat reduction.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
The "Heatshield Material" I installed is very thick and for that reason, I guess, has been excellent for heat reduction.
It's good stuff. I had it in my 74 TR6. Beside it's advertised attributes, it makes for a nice thick carpet underlayment.

Lbp

LexTR3:

How many sheets of the heatshield material did you need to do the whole car? And did you use it instead of the felt undercarpet material, or in addition to the standard felt?

Bill

M

Member 10617

Bill,

As I recall, I only ordered one 4' x 6' sheet, and -- with very careful measuring and cutting -- I only had a few very small scraps left over. I only did the area in front of the seats, and not the "back seat" area. (Foil side down.) This is the only thing I used because the felt part of the heatshield is quite thick. I laid the carpet right on top of it. I don't think you would need an additional undercarpet material.

And, again, I didn't use the adhesive Moss sells with this material because I didn't want to glue this stuff down. That is what was done previously and I had a heck of a job getting up all the old adhesive in order to repaint, etc., etc. I used 1" wide Velcro in strategic areas to hold the material down (foil side down).

One other tip... When I installed the heatshield material up the sides of the cockpit area, I cut it about 2 inches shorter than where the carpet would rise. This left me 2 inches for velcro on the side panel and on the carpet to hold it in place. In other words, the heatshield material is velcroed into place on the sides, right and left, and in front, and the carpets are also velcroed right and left, and in front, but to the wall just above the heatshield and not to the heatshield material itself. (Sorry for this poor description). The result is that I can remove the carpet for cleaning, etc., etc., without disturbing the heatshield material, and I can remove the heatshield material for inspection, repainting, etc., etc. My aim was: don't do anything that cannot be easily undone.

Sorry, too, for being so wordy... Hope this helps.

Bill: Check my following posting for a couple of photos I just took for you.

M

Member 10617

Bill:

The photo on the left shows the carpet in place. The photo on the right shows the carpet pulled back to show the Velcro strip that holds it, and you can see the heatshield (also held in place with Velcro). You can also see the remnants on the back of the carpet of the adhesive that once used to hold it in place. The previous owner didn't use any underlayer -- just carpet and rubber mat.

The Velcro adheres very well to the foil backing of the heatshield, but not so well to the back of the carpet because the back of the carpet is rubberized and heavily textured. For that reason, I had to stick the Velcro to the carpet using two-sided auto trim tape, and in some areas some liquid adhesive.

View attachment 25874View attachment 25875

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bill,

I used what Moss lables as "Heatshield Material." You can find it on page A8 in their catalog.

FWIW, I got what appears to be the same stuff from Home Depot as "water heater insulation". About half the price once you factor in shipping and I installed it the same day. Only on the floors and trans tunnel as yet, but I'm pleased with the result. Otherwise on long summer trips, the trans tunnel would get too hot to comfortably rest my leg against.

But I was primarily interested in heat insulation. My feeling is that, unless you have a hardtop, most of the noise comes directly to your ears from outside the car; relatively little comes through the metal. And I hate driving with the hardtop anyway (haven't had it on the car since 1989 and then it was only to move it) so I'm not worried about that.

Lbp

Ed/LexTR3:

The pics you attached don't show up. I don't now if it's the site or my computer, but I think I understand your description. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I was also reluctant to glue everything down and got a set of snaps, but velcro sounds even easier.

Bill

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Ed -

If you can try again sometime, I'd like to see those pictures too. I'm getting close to doing the same thing on my project 3A.

Thanks
Randy

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I keep reading about folks putting Dynamat in their cars as a heat shield. Dynamat is advertised as sound deadening. What am I missing?
(and ditto on the missing pictures)

Thanks.
Tom
PS - with my open top TR3A, I never feel the need to cut down on "sound". I did the same thing as Randall for heat shielding, and am very pleased with the result. No more toasted right leg.

M

Member 10617

TR3.13.02.jpgTR3.13.03.jpg

Trying again... I hope these photos can be seen.

Randall: YES, indeed, the heatshield material looks a lot like the material for wrapping hot water heaters. And I agree with you about noise dampening. This stuff is primarily useful for cutting down on heat. But there is a little noise reduction, nevertheless.

Looking back on the project, I may have used more Velcro than really needed. Rather than continuous long strips, I might have simply used small squares stratigically placed. But either way, it seems to work.