• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Happy Birthday Old Girl

RAC68

Darth Vader
In 1963 I contracted for a brand new Austin Healey 3000 from a local Northern NJ BMC dealer that also sold Pontiacs. This was advantageous as it allowed me to trade my customized powder blue 1958 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible to cover a good part of the Healey’s $4,000 purchase price.

100_1420.JPG

On that April 1964 day, I went to pick up my new car and was surprised and pleased to find a BJ8 (P1) instead of the expected BJ7 I had impatiently anticipated for over 3 months. That summer, a friend and I embarked on a 3 month “Route 66” type odyssey. With luggage on the rack and a total of $600 in our pockets, we eventually saw 23 of the United States and 3 Canadian provinces. Upon our return, I found, courted, and married my wife and a few years after, brought my son home from the hospital in a bassinet sitting on the rear package shelf (before today’s safety standards) . She had been my only ride for many early years and a 15 year sleeping beauty when a station wagon was more appropriate for my growing family. Reawakened, she was completely dismantled and refurbished during a 6 year effort that was completed in 1989. Today, she still challenges, entertains, and even babysits my grandchildren during club activities and parades.

Happy Birthday Old Girl and I hope to be with you for a long enjoyable time to come.

Ray and his 1964 BJ8P1

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Very nice Ray!

Your two cars seem to get along and make a nice couple, too I see, for the TR's eyes are closed which can only mean the Healey is whispering nice thoughts to your TR.

Congratulations and many more enjoyable moments!!

Paul

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ray,
my 1964 BJ8 early phase 2 is just a little younger than yours with its 50th birthday coming up in June.
Its due out of the body shop any day now and then it's all hands to the pumps to try and get everything put back together ready for June.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 86

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My BEV is going to be 60 this year. I feel very bad that she will not be on the road when it happens. Congratulations to you for all your years of ownership Ray.

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Thanks all, for your good wishes and comments.

Here is someone that has owned and driven his British car longer and farther then even I expect to be able to drive my Healey.

Mr%u00252520Swift%u00252520and%u00252520his%u00252520Roadster.jpg

Mr. Allen Swift ( Springfield, MA ) received this 1928 Rolls-Royce Piccadilly-P 1 Roadster from his father, brand new - as a graduation gift in 1928 and drove it until his death in 2010 at 102 years of age. That's 82 years for 1,070,000 miles or approximately 13,048 miles per year.

All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)