• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Handbrake Lever

rimzimmer

I was just wondering if the handbrake lever in a B can be modifided to a "fly off" lever. I'm not sure if they changed during the production so mine is a 68. Cheers Andy

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Interesting question, Andy. I'm sure a "reverse" ratchet-pawl could be fabricated. I'll be interested in the responses.

By the way, from your location, it appears you're down under. I hope you and yours weren't near Typhoon (Cyclone?) Larry.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Wouldn't that be completely backwards from the way it works now?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You know folks use to talk about doing this, but I don't remember how. Seems they took it apart and put it back different was all. I know they made nothing new.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Andy, What would be the purpose of doing that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif PJ

Only purpose I could see is for use in stunt driving. It would definately be useless as a parking brake that way.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It actually reverses the "button" function: raise the handle and push the button down to "lock" it, to release it just yank it and let go. Some trials competitions make it desirable to yank the handbrake and NOT have it stay ON. IIRC, reversing the pawl does it... not all mechanism's are that easy, dunno which is which.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Aye, used in Autocross that way.

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
There is a reference to this in the competition manual. It states that you need part #'s (C) AHH 7222 rod and AHH7223 pawl to convert. I don't think you can flip these and get the results you desire.

Alan T

Steve_S

Yoda
The answer is yes. I have a fly-off in my '67 BGT. The parts Alan mentions are difficult to find but will do the conversion. You can also modify it yourself if you are clever.

MGAs all used fly-off handles but I doubt any parts are interchangable with the MGB unit.

I love it and plan to convert my '65 to fly-off as well. It turns the brake into a true hand brake, not just a parking brake. It is also very, very handy if you need to start on a steep incline and the idiot behind you is right on your bumper. And it is a good theft deterrent, too. A thief will never figure out how to release the brake!

Skywalker

Freshman Member
Country flag
Andy, What would be the purpose of doing that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif PJ
The purpose is; try starting to move with the car facing uphill. With a fly-off handbrake you can "hold the car still" (rather than role backwards) while letting the clutch out until the clutch engages. That way you do NOT have to press the accelerator so hard and waist gasoline. Also, it is great to help get around curves, but that is another story.