• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Golden Beige Metallic PPG color code

Robert560

The ICI paint code for Golden Beige Metallic BG-19 should be ICI 3006M. With one or both of those numbers, your paint shop should be able to get a PPG mixture.

~Bob

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
richberman said:
Does anyone have a color code for Healey Golden Beige.

I'll bet that Patrick (with the penguin avatar) will have it. He is painting his car that color.

He'll be here soon.

Tim

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Funny to read the comment in Healey Marque from the Barrett-Jackson guy that Metallic Golden Beige is a "blah" color. My first Healey was a ratty 1959 Bugeye I bought in high school from my cousin in 1967. The guy that owned the building where my Dad's real estate office was located had just bought a Metallic Golden Beige BJ8 with red interior. In my eyes it was beautiful and I'd park my Bugeye next to him every chance I could because we were "Healey guys". Still think it's a great color.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Cottontop said:
richberman said:
Does anyone have a color code for Healey Golden Beige.

I'll bet that Patrick (with the penguin avatar) will have it. He is painting his car that color.

He'll be here soon.

Tim
I'm here! The original paints were not good and I don't think you can get them any more. Besides, after about six months with the original stuff your paint job looked about 3 years old. I had my chassis painted by Jule-Enterprises when they did my new frame. It was done base coat, clear coat and the paint alone was $400 per gallon! Somewhere in my "Healey" stuff I have the formula that was given to me by another Healey owner who won "Gold" so it must be really close if not perfect! I will say this, there are a couple of companies on the west coast that have their own formulas for the paint and they are probably pretty good too. My problem was that I could not buy the paint from either one of them and ship it across the border. The color I chose is pretty much identical to a Chrysler Heather Poly(1979 or 80). Primer color is important! I will send the formula to who needs it if the PM me.
BTW: My '67 is an authentic, original beige car with red interior.
Patrick

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
HealeyRick said:
Funny to read the comment in Healey Marque from the Barrett-Jackson guy that Metallic Golden Beige is a "blah" color. My first Healey was a ratty 1959 Bugeye I bought in high school from my cousin in 1967. The guy that owned the building where my Dad's real estate office was located had just bought a Metallic Golden Beige BJ8 with red interior. In my eyes it was beautiful and I'd park my Bugeye next to him every chance I could because we were "Healey guys". Still think it's a great color.

Yeah, we had quite a talk about that. It struck me as an odd comment. But at the end of the day, we have to realize that a lot of people at those auctions are not really experts on a particular car. They just know they want one.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Legal Bill said:
HealeyRick said:
Funny to read the comment in Healey Marque from the Barrett-Jackson guy that Metallic Golden Beige is a "blah" color.

Yeah, we had quite a talk about that. It struck me as an odd comment. But at the end of the day, we have to realize that a lot of people at those auctions are not really experts on a particular car. They just know they want one.

Used to have my Bugeye serviced at Globe Motors in E. Bridgewater (later moved to Hanover) Backed out of the service bay and found out .... no brakes and a brand new Metallic Golden Beige Healey a few feet away! Good thing the ebrake held! (Learned to do my own repairs soon thereafter) Buddy of mine later bought the MGB Healey I referred to above and ran it through his years at Boston University. Eventually it was retired to his g'father's farm and sat in disrepair. I helped him sell it through an AHCA ad in the early 80s for not a lot of money. He was real happy when I sent him the link for the Tanner car that went for over $100k at B-J a few years back.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave:

RHCH!!! : where are you? You know the answer to this question come on tell Rich OK---Keoke--- :thankyousign:

dougsmarkIII

Accoding to my receipt for this paint color the car manufacturer is Rover and the Brand Code is 3006B Main Layer 3006B. OEM Code BG19. $144.00 a QT. Item No P422/Qt. That's a base color and requires a clear coat, Item No DCU2042 plus a hardener. The color is also available in a single stage, Item No DCC mix 3006B

I bought the paint from Painters Supply Co. in Sheridan, CO 303-762-1606 / 800-275-2448. Sheridan, CO is near Denver CO.

Doug

Penghulu

Freshman Member
This is THE story of Metallic Golden Beige. For years there was NO REAL metallic golden beige BG-19 available from ANY of the paint people. Enthusiasts bandied about VW, Jaguar and sundry other "silvers" that were the "same". In 1985 I bought an untouched AH BJ8 with 15K on the clock but was painted a nasty Jag brown colour. The build sheet said "metallic golden beige" and tearing out the carpet over the rear wheel arch I found the original colour. Sikkens, Toronto, sent out a "paint engineer" who spent a day mixing brews until he got a perfect match. My paint shop thought they had the sole source for the colour but Sikkens, not being dumb, put it in their catalog as BG-19, the original code, under British Leyland. It is a weird mixture !! At the 1989 Conclave at Niagara I was given 100 points and won (there is a story here!). Geoffrey Healey and the production manager were there and spoke to me for over an hour. They both said my colour was spot on and were delighted to see an "original" colour. Gerry Coker saw it some while later and he said "original" colour. Years later when I built an MGB GT V8 I choose BG-19 and found it was in many paint catalogs but Sikkens was the original. Incidentally, my now being-restored Aston Martin will be clothed in BG-19 too!!!

Country flag
While I was restoring my GMB car, I replaced my rusty floorboards, so I cut out a portion the floorboard that had the original paint. I put some the PPG Global paint (ARGB19) I bought on the floorboard and that looked like a perfect match to me. Of course it had more shine than the original. Paid around $120/qt in 09.

Marv

Penghulu

Freshman Member
I have not been watching these forums as I have been deep into other stuff. However, I think I ought to put people straight on Metallic Golden Beige as used EXCLUSIVELY on BJ8 Austin Healeys. I bought a 1967 BJ8 around 1985 with 15,000 miles on it but had been in a flash flood. It was in disgusting Jag brown but had originally been in Metallic Golden Beige. A search revealed that this colour was no longer available and people were using Mercedes, VW, and others for what they thought were the same - none of which were! While removing the carpeting on the rear wing arches I found the original colour - un-sun bleached and prefect. I contacted Sikkens and they sent a "paint engineer" to match the colour - which they did and it was entered into their paint catalogue. So my A-Healey restoration was completed in 1989 with the [FONT=&quot]original [/FONT]MGB colour. I was at the 1989 Conclave, Niagara Falls, for Austin Healeys where I was awarded 100 points but lost 1[SUP]st[/SUP] prize to a trailer queen entry. This caused a huge row as the attendees pointed out that my car was driven to the show and had been penalized for a minute road chip – so I elected to have won !!!! Attending the Conclave was Geoffrey Healey, with the production manage (forgot his name) and the body designer Gerry Coker. They spent an hour with me and my car. They were enthralled by the recovery of what they said was the perfect colour. Not one of them could remember why they put out 700 cars with this colour, or where the paint came from. I restored an MGB GT V8 in this colour and I get more oohs and aahs on the colour than on the car. My 1957 Aston Martin will be done in this colour because it is bl**dy gorgeous…..provided you get the correct paint. Sikkens told me is a weird mixture !!!!!
Barrie Robinson

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I have not been watching these forums as I have been deep into other stuff. However, I think I ought to put people straight on Metallic Golden Beige as used EXCLUSIVELY on BJ8 Austin Healeys. I bought a 1967 BJ8 around 1985 with 15,000 miles on it but had been in a flash flood. It was in disgusting Jag brown but had originally been in Metallic Golden Beige. A search revealed that this colour was no longer available and people were using Mercedes, VW, and others for what they thought were the same - none of which were! While removing the carpeting on the rear wing arches I found the original colour - un-sun bleached and prefect. I contacted Sikkens and they sent a "paint engineer" to match the colour - which they did and it was entered into their paint catalogue. So my A-Healey restoration was completed in 1989 with the original MGB colour. I was at the 1989 Conclave, Niagara Falls, for Austin Healeys where I was awarded 100 points but lost 1[SUP]st[/SUP] prize to a trailer queen entry. This caused a huge row as the attendees pointed out that my car was driven to the show and had been penalized for a minute road chip – so I elected to have won !!!! Attending the Conclave was Geoffrey Healey, with the production manage (forgot his name) and the body designer Gerry Coker. They spent an hour with me and my car. They were enthralled by the recovery of what they said was the perfect colour. Not one of them could remember why they put out 700 cars with this colour, or where the paint came from. I restored an MGB GT V8 in this colour and I get more oohs and aahs on the colour than on the car. My 1957 Aston Martin will be done in this colour because it is bl**dy gorgeous…..provided you get the correct paint. Sikkens told me is a weird mixture !!!!!
Barrie Robinson
My Healey is an original GMB color(one of about 551 produced), and when I went to have it painted I contacted Steve Byers of the BJ8 Registry who put me in touch with a guy who had a Gold Level Concourse car and he sent me the specs to have the color made. The Judges thought/believed the color to be "spot-on". The only exception to the color formula that I recall was that the base coat had to be white and not the original red oxide to get the "perfect" color match. I guess we can attribute any color variations of this color due to the cars being painted and the painter possibly running low on paint and something was thrown in to stretch the paint? Much like the variations in the engine paint. I never had a problem finding the color match through Paint Suppliers in the original paint but I contacted "old timers" in specialty shops who kept that certain book locked up so they couldn't be misplaced. The Paint was over $400 per gallon when my Healey was painted and I've been told it is much higher now.

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That sounds fantastic; would love to see the color.

Now, if someone could only provide an accurate formula, using modern paint codes, to duplicate Colorado Red . . . pls send me a PM if you can help.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That sounds fantastic; would love to see the color.
Now, if someone could only provide an accurate formula, using modern paint codes, to duplicate Colorado Red . . . pls send me a PM if you can help.

For My 100/6 I have follow the ROVER PPG COLORS RD2 Signal red
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770...ayJune2011endMayJune2013#6066037362753219298ù
some results in daylight photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770...MayJune2011endMayJune2013#5823012073724977730
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770819864514987162/ONTheROADAGAIN?noredirect=1