• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Flex Couplings [4a Steering]

Tomster

Jedi Knight
Hi All!
Just rec'd my replacement Flex couplings and ground wires for the steering shaft on my 4A.
Any helpfull installation hints befor I learn the hard way ?(as usual)

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Use a vice or a big hose clamp to compress the flex coupling or you'll never get the bolts to line up.

Next time I do the job on my car, I'm going to replace them both with the u-joint used on the TR6

OP
T

Tomster

Jedi Knight
By "compressing" with a hose clamp, I assume that you are talking about around the exterior circumference. This sounds like it may be a challenge when dealing with the lower of the two.
Are there other service items that should be looked at when doing this?

Bruno_69z28

I relaced my flex couplings with large visegrips to compress the couplings while they were still in the car. If I had to do it again, I would use Raymond's method and do it in a vise, out of the car. Then with the adaptors connected to the couplings, reinstall into the car. Hope this makes sence.

Bill

Bill

G

[ QUOTE ]

Next time I do the job on my car, I'm going to replace them both with the u-joint used on the TR6

[/ QUOTE ]

That's news to me. My TR6 has rubber flex couplings. A real PIA to install. I pulled the rack and pinion steering off the front to let the thing straighten out to install the couplings, then bent it back down and reattached the steering rack. Mother of invention.

Bill

swift6

Yoda
Lower joint in the TR6 should be a metal universal type joint. The upper one, above the pedal box, should be the rubber one needing the 'assist' to line up the bolts.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

I'm not certain your TR4A has exactly the same pair of rubber donuts my TR4 does (appears the same according to Moss' online illustrations), but I didn't have any problem or need to compress them. I did remove the entire steering column from the car, which is easy after removing the upper and lower pinch bolts (1/4" bolts, the lower one is at the pinion, the other at the upper steering column, there are two more on the center steering column, which are optional to remove if it makes the job easier), and loosening the upper steering column so that it can all slide up a little to release the lower steering column at the bottom. No need to loosen the steering rack, remove the steering wheel or anything like that.

With the column out of the car, it was just a matter of unbolting the rubber donuts and bolting the new ones in place. Note that the safety wire is very important on those bolts. Wouldn't want one coming loose while out on the road!

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Lower joint in the TR6 should be a metal universal type joint. The upper one, above the pedal box, should be the rubber one needing the 'assist' to line up the bolts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have been more clear with my statement earlier - Shawn is correct that the u-joint I mentioned is used at the lower joint on the TR6 - I meant I planned to use that u-joint at both locations the next time I replace them. Would have done it this time except new rubber donuts already came in the box of parts that was my TR4A

OP
T

Tomster

Jedi Knight
"I did remove the entire steering column from the car, which is easy after removing the upper and lower pinch bolts (1/4" bolts, the lower one is at the pinion, the other at the upper steering column, there are two more on the center steering column"
Alan, I assume that your referring to the "Clamp assembly" in and around items 22 thru 26 as shown in the Steering parts diagram in the Moss book. The upper one being located just inside the firewall, engine bay side
Sorry if I appear a bit of a stunned arse on this.
Photo, diagram and map is always helpful

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Check out https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29141&SortOrder=35

The 1/4" pinch bolts at upper and lowermost items #30 "adapter" need to be completely removed to allow the steering column to be removed from the car. (The other two can optionally be removed when installing the rubber "donut" couplings.)

Then, yes, loosen #22 thru 26 to allow the steering column to be slid up, off the splines.