• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ferrari Population in NoCal Grows Big Time

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
geez , Louizze what in the world does this guy do to affod this kind of purchase? That said, it is great he could step forward and take these cars!
Roy

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I am reading a great book: "Go Like heck" by A.J. Baime written last year which is mainly about the rivalry between Ford and Ferrari esp. as it relates to Le Mans and the Ford's development, but it also gives great insites into both companies, particularly Ferrari.

I did not realize he made so many "Customer Cars" as he called his non-racing vehicles, but the size of this collection bears this out. I think he made a couple of hundred a year though I am not certain.

Get the book--it is great!

OP
dougie

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Michael -

I've heard good things about that book. Have you pick-up The Art of Racing in The Rain yet by NW author Garth Stein. Great book told through the eyes of a Golden Lab named Enzo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGMXJexotMc
It's a real tear jerker and the movie rights have been picked up by actor/racer
Patrick Dempsey.

Dougie

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
What a coincidence--I am watching the Jimmy Kimmell Show (It's 1:18 here in MD) and less than 30 minutes ago Dempsey was on promoting some movie "now in theatres" named "Valentine's Day". But he did a good five minute thing on his racing a Mazda RX 8. He did not overly glorify it, and he rather sounded quite intelligent.

As to really "Racing in the Rain" that is obviously something you guys out there in Oregon MUST learn to do or otherwise just stay home. I am not thrilled when it rains during a race but must say that I have always learned something when I do it--it's like being on a skid pad in close proximity to a lot of other cars. I can only use Dunlop 204 tires in my class which are not very good in the wet so if it is raining hard before the start I will sometimes just not go out.

Plus a real problem for me is wearing my glasses or even keeping the face mask fully down and since I race the Courier which is an open car unlike yours I eventually take my glasses off and open the mask patially so I can see under it--luckily my myopia is not terribly severe and I can see better without the glasses than with them when they are wet. Perhaps this is not a problem to you since you have a hardtop but I have yet to find a Healey that does not leak a lot (with or without a hardtop) and though my street 100 pictured below is not too bad a leaker eventually there is water coming under and around the windshield, not to mention all over my left thigh where water leaks in front of the driver door.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The book "The Art of Racing in the Rain" is an excellent book in many ways. The actual racing and techniques described in the book are spot on. Racers can truely relate to it. I first came across this book at a vendors stall when I was racing at the Pacific Northwest Historics, Kent, Washington, in July, 2008. They were handing out these little pamphlets that were just the first chapter of the book - and not very many pages at that. During a quiet time between races I read the little pamphlet. I was in tears. I told my wife to read it - she was in tears. We bought the book and loved it - and cried some more. Every one I know that has read it - and there are many- have really enjoyed it.
As for really racing in the rain, check out me on Utube. Type in "Richard Mayor Austin Healey" and you will see what racing in the rain in Oregon is all about.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Richard,

Where can I buy this book?I remember racing in the rain
at Portland.Mt St Helens had erupted.What do you do "in case of-
volcano"?

- Doug

OP
dougie

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Richard,

I have lent my copy out to more of my non-racing friends and each have had the same reaction as yours........great book.

I also thought I would help the forum readers see your excellent drive in the rain at PIR. If I remember I took 2nd in this handicapped race during the 2008 CRC with you charging hard to try to run me down from the back of the pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IEuEvVn1PI

Dougie

Country flag
Now, I MAY be mistaken, but at about 5:05 I "THINK" I saw Mr. & Mrs. Noah sitting in the bleachers!! :laugh:

Every time I watch a video like that, I just want to get out there and do that MORE!