• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Japanese Ferrari

A

aerog

There's one of those locally that shows up at cruise-ins occasionally...really very nice looking, well built, great paint. Not real but looks great and fun too.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The exterior looks wonderful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif but the interior rather lets it down, being bog-standard Nissan..I know it's a big expense to do the interior, but even just a replica shift gate from a Ferrari would make a world of difference!

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
The exterior looks wonderful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif but the interior rather lets it down, being bog-standard Nissan..I know it's a big expense to do the interior, but even just a replica shift gate from a Ferrari would make a world of difference!

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing I thought when I looked at it. Also looks like pretty cheap cloth thrown on those seats or really old.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
The body kits do look pretty good. Zs, especially earlier ones, are remarkably similar in dimensions to the GTO.

Unfortunately it quickly loses in the details. Like Steve said, the interior is straight 70s Japanese. Also, chrome wire wheels just look cheesy on it. There’s just something special about the look of alloy Borranis.

The biggest disappointment will certainly be the sound. Nothing compares to the song of a Columbo V12.

PC.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yeah the interior of that car just ruins it. Beautiful exterior though.

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Also, chrome wire wheels just look cheesy on it. There’s just something special about the look of alloy Borranis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't noticed the wire wheels. They do look cheesy. My eyes always go to all the air scoops and vents on a GTO. Just love 'em.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Would you believe that two guys who live within a couple miles of my parents each have REAL GTOs? And they both keep them in separate warehouses in Bellevue about 200 yards from each other.

And yes, you guessed it, they're both Microsoft guys. Both are quite nice and are big Ferrari collectors. One even has one of the 50's factory transport trucks (Fiat truck painted in Ferrari team colors.)

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Sammy,

Have you asked these guys if you could do a story about the cars? Sounds like the story couldn't be laid out any better for an automobile writer.

Brian

Bret

Yoda
All & all it looked pretty good until you look at the interior as Steve & Bruce pointed out.

The chrome wheels don’t bug me that much. But if it was mine, I think I'd go with the more serious looking silver painted wires rather than the chrome. At least get rid of those tired old cheap’o Manny, Moe & Jack seat covers. Some nice leather vintage/period looking buckets would be my choice.

Not my cup’a joe, but for a 50/50 car it looks great. My guess is that the body kit & wheels are worth more than the current bid (reserve not met) at $5211 thus far.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Compared to the real thing, it's bargain. Buy it, and put the interior of your desires in it and it will STILL be cheaper than the real thing......

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Brian,
I haven't. I know Jon Shirley is pretty protective of his cars, and Greg Whitten is a little more open. Story opportunities like this I like to keep in my arsenal in the event I can arrange syndication of the story for larger publications.

They are very nice guys, with fun collections. Jon also has Schumacher's championship F1 car from about 5 seasons ago, with a spare V10 on a stand, one of 10 275GTS/4 (4cam spyder,) a 166MM. Whitten has a lightweight Jag E-Type racer, an Aston DB3R, a GT40 road-spec car. Brilliant autos.

[ QUOTE ]
Sammy,

Have you asked these guys if you could do a story about the cars? Sounds like the story couldn't be laid out any better for an automobile writer.

Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Sammy,

It sounds like the collections of these guys might fill up your arsenal. Several stories there at least, I hope that someday in the near future you are able to spend some time with them... a dream day for a car nut like me. Thanks for the reply.

Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I've been into see both of their collections before. It was about two months before I debuted my column.

The good news is that there are numerous large collections here in the NW, and I'm already back-logged with cars and stories...the story I'm writing this week about a '59 Chrysler 300E was from a visit and test drive back in March, and I still have to do a 51 Hudson Hornet from the same visit.

Times like these I say "I LOVE MY JOB!!!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A

aerog

It took me awhile, but I finally found a picture of the local Ferrari replica (Datsun 240Z). It actually is very nice looking.

jfer.jpg