• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Europa with Mazda Rotary engine

Dan_Morrison

Your car is a series 2 that has the earlier style rear sails. The cut down ones were changed and are only on the twin cams. As for the single wiper, your car is probably a type 54, possibly Canadian spec car. Your VIN number could be 54/nnnn or 65/nnnn. If you look at the front suspension, you can tell if it is a type 54 by one of the upper wishbones being straight as opposed to angled and fastened on the inside of the front bulkhead and not the outside like the other one. If the ignition key is on the RH side of the dash, this is another indication that the car is a type 54.

RobT

Jedi Warrior
R6MGS said:
Great, that just what I need to hear Rob :wink:
Your Europa looks great BTW...I've decided I like the look of the cut down 'wings' alot better than mine. I also noticed yours has 2 wipers, is that a later evolution? along with the corner marker?

Thanks!

Ya know I prefer the look of the S1, S2 "high wings". I know they limit visability (even more) but the cut-down wings look a bit "pick-up truck" like to me! I guess the grass is always greener....

I thought the double wipers were on all "federal" (i.e. U.S. export) Europas, but I could be wrong. Definately on the TCs and TCSs. And the "flush" side markers I believe changed for the TC and TCS.

As others have said, be sure to check out Jerry's site:

https://www.lotus-europa.com/index.html

An absolute wealth of information, including on-line workshop manuals, extensive knowledgebase, parts cross-reference and owner registry (with pics).

Cheers,

Rob.

Dan_Morrison

Type 65 S2s that weren't type 54s (i.e. Federal S2) had the flush side markers. S1s and type 54 S2s had the suface mount type markers. The federal versions of the Europa did have two wipers, which is why I think that your car is a Canadian import (or had the front end from another car grafted on). What is the VIN?

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
My car would be a type 54, because my VIN starts with 54(is that generally a good or bad thing??). I live in Canada, and it is a Canadian car, so I guess that explains the single wiper.

oh, and I did spend some time on Jerry's site...Very informative. I even added my car to the registry, pretty cool registry also.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Thought I'd throw up a pic of when it arrived home on the flatbed:

n705415777_895253_9138.jpg

BTW: The door isn't closed right, but that black thing under the door handle someone asked about when I first posted pics is some rubber stick on thing that says 'fizz' on it....still not sure of it's purpose, hopefully it'll peel off without taking the paint with it.

RobT

Jedi Warrior
It looks pretty darn good in the photo. You mentioned the original engine came with the car too - any idea what condition its in?

As always - more pictures are welcome.

Rob.

HealeyBN7

Country flag
Rob,

Looks great. Glad to see it arrived safely and with the hood and trunk still attached. As a future caution (not that you will every need to be towed again) most Europa owners never tow their cars backwards. At speed the trunks and hoods have a tendency to flip up and fly off the car.

Now, send us some pictures of the engine!

Dean

Dan_Morrison

IMHO, having a type 54 is a good thing. The nose is lower and more aerodynamic. Compare it with a later type 65 S2 and a twin cam. The 54 looks so much nicer. The earliest type 54 even has the S1 body style, but with a removable chassis. Typical of Lotus to use up the left over S1 bodies on the S2 chassis.

I like the high sail panels too.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Unfortunately thats all I've got for pics right now...The car is at my parents house, because my garage and driveway are already all jammed with MG's and the DD's. I am hopeing to get some time to go over there over the weekend to get some more pics, and do a few minor things(I haven't even been able to pump up the tires yet).
I am also not sure the condition of the original engine yet as I haven't had the chance to pick it up yet, the old owner and I have pretty busy schedules so it's tough to co-ordinate the pickup, but we'll get it. It's to my understanding that the original motor, at minimum, needs bearings.