• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Europa with Mazda Rotary engine

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Well, I was in the area today so I drove by to confirm; no bumper on the rear..Is that of any importance?? or did someone just remove it?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I wouldn't consider the rear bumper a "deal kller". More concerned over the engine/transaxle stuff. It'd be a "pass" if the final drive were swapped to Mazda gear.

...Just MY take!

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
He said the driveline was original other than the engine.

4339R

Freshman Member
Hi,
I think you may have gotten some misinformation from the present owner. Original interior on Europa's was vinyl. It was available in black, and later in oatmeal (tan). The oatmeal was a very high quality material, heavily grained, and many people did ask if it was leather (when my car was new).
I don't think there was ever a two tone black/red.
Best wishes, John

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I never saw any red or red trim interiors either. Black or tan were the choices.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Ok, thats good to know...I am gunna have to get some pics of this thing to post up becasue I am really not sure about this thing. It looks like the bumper is kinda 'molded' into the body or somethnig....I can go on Sunday to get some pics, because I don't want the shop owners seeing me ot their taking pics. I'll post them when I get them.

HealeyBN7

Country flag
Yes pictures would help. With regard to the bumpers, on all the Europas from S1s through the last TCS the fiberglass follows the contour of the bumpers - front and rear. Many of the owners, who are no longer worried about shopping cart dings, remove the bumpers and fill in the small mounting holes. If you google images for Lotus 47, you will be able to see a little more clearly in pictures.

Like some of the early Corvettes, the bumpers are only mounted to the body (fiberglass), and are not likely to help with crash protection. Since it is almost an "optional" personal feature, there are always a few for sale. Sourcing a rear bumper should not be a problem.

Regarding the rotory engine, this would not stop me from looking at the car. A replacement 2.0L Ford Zetec, or 4AGE are popular transplants and with the right valve cover, twin carbs (or EFI) and a wild exhaust, they can be made to look semi period correct.

The best source for Europa knowledge is the Yahoo Lotus-Europa Group https://groups.yahoo.com/group/lotuseuropa/

and Jerry's Lotus Europa Site

https://www.lotus-europa.com/index.html

Jerry manages a registry and has collected manuals, parts lists, cross references, and all the info you will need to keep any Europa in top condition.

Best of luck - Dean (HealeyBN7; ...and S2 Zetec in progress)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hello Dean, welcome to the forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The best source for Europa knowledge is the Yahoo Lotus-Europa Group https://groups.yahoo.com/group/lotuseuropa/ [/QUOTE]

I think he can do pretty well here, too.

And as an aside, the Elans have "bumpers"... <span style="font-style: italic">made</span> of fiberglass!

The same front bumper fits the Elan +2 and Europa. And Doug is right: it came from an Anglia. The rear ones are different, Europa may be Anglia, +2 is different.

As for engines, a "tall block" Lotus DOHC could be period correct but a Zetec? nahhh... :jester:

creepingfur

I still think a Rover v8 like the GKN Type 47 Europa would be the most amazing swap.

A big V8 that way what the Lotus TwinCam does with at LEAST 215 hp, 240lbs of torque. That would be a WHOLE lot of fun and somewhat period as Lotus sanctioned the GKN type 47.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Welp, snuck some pics....As many as I could before the attack dog came at me :S The rear bumper is missing and I can now see the tiny holes...Otherwise everything else looks pretty good, The TR6 should be gone tomorrow, then I'll get back in contact with the owner of this and make an offer???What do you guys think would be a fair offer??

n705415777_864825_2477.jpg

n705415777_864826_3360.jpg

n705415777_864827_4142.jpg

n705415777_864828_4927.jpg

HealeyBN7

Country flag
Looks like a later S2 (type 65). The two large square vents in the rear lid are not original. I suspect that you didn't get a chance to see the VIN. The single wiper makes me wonder if was originally a non-US car.

Can't figure out what is below the door handles. I see them on both sides. Looks like damage where the rear bumper was and below the tail lights. Recommend you poke around under the deck lid and make sure the bobins are secure. Like the current Elises, it doesn't take much to damage these cars.

If the frame is good and the glass damage is light, I would but it. I like the high sails. Since there is very little monetary reward for creating an a concours (S2)example, you can have some fun and take it as far as you want. Just go into this project open minded, as it will cost you more than it will return. Poke around on Europa Banks Engineering site to get some ideas.

Maybe, maybe, maybe S2s will begin to rise in price, but the polarizing looks will likely keep them affordable.

Once the attach dogs are clear, it would be good to see how the rotory conversion was executed.

Good luck. - Dean

RobT

Jedi Warrior
A Series 2 by the looks. Pannel fit and doors look O.K. (although you will not know till you open them), ride height looks O.K. Paint looks a bit knackered - but cannot see stress cracks in the photos. There are a couple extra vent holes in the rear pannel.

Price? Heck - I don't know. I think it would depend on the condition of the chassis and mechanicals. If the "Y" is rusted out - big bucks. I think you should take a pretty good look underneath, and check wheel bearing (esp rear), brakes, transaxle etc. before diving in.

As with any old Brit car - a cheap car now can end up being very expensive in the long run!

Rob.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd pass.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Well, the owner called today....We agreed on what I think is a very fair price, so assuming all goes as planned it'll be in my hands in a week or so. TR6 was picked up Saturday, Sunday I bought something else....that free parking spot just never will be empty.

The owner does have the original rear bumper, and some other parts; replacement door hinges(one is broken) and some other small things.
I am going to attempt to get the mazda engine running and driveable, but if not does anyone know where I could source an original europa motor...Also, the reason the car was parked at this shop is b/c it needed some tranny work...the original transmission is in place, but needed worked according to the owner....I moved the shifter around and it seems to go into all gears nicely, but kinda sloppy...so if I can find a good used replacement tranny somewhere that would be great...anyone have any parts sources for these things??

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Try Dave Bean Engineering,San Andreas,CA,
or JAE in Goleta,CA.

- Doug

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Thanks guys....The reason I wasn't too concerned with the tranny issue is because I figured it was probably something minor like linkages or just lack of proper maintence that might have been the problem.

Woo hoo. Gotta get some pictures up soon. I can't wait to see this thing. Thosa rotaries can be made to put out all kinds of power.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I posted a few pics a page back, but I'll be sure to get some more(especially of the engine compartment) as soon as I get the car in my hands.

I was wondering....Given that this rotary has been sitting 4 years, should I do anything to it before attempting to start it other than I would do with a normal engine??

Dan_Morrison

I hadn't noticed your pics in the previous post until today. I think you got a good deal at whatever you paid for it, and it sounds like less than the asking price. The body looks straight, and it's in one piece. Have fun with it. I'll echo the earlier post about the Lotus Europa group and Jerry's web site. They are an invaluable source of information. Anything you run into during your work will likely have already been encountered.